Quantcast

Is this the Privateer Orion was talking about?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Have there ever been a successful twin engine pylon race plane?

BJC
Define successful... didn't they P-38's and F7F's in the old Cleveland days ? Clay Lacy raced a DC-7 at Mojave one year. The Pond Racer was not successful because it crashed, but it did have the clear potential to be successful.

That David Rose thing I'm not even going to bring up :)

I'm guessing the wide engine spacing was to allow larger propellers and not have the propeller flow interfering wi th the fuselage/wing root flow. I would not want to be the test pilot charged with investigating the minimum single engine speed on that design however.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Anyone know what the Vmc was expected to be?

BJC
Not to mention that this is a dedicated racing airplane. It wasn't intended for "everyday" flying by an "average" pilot.
My interest, expressed above, is about the aerodynamics of the airplane. I’m still curious.

I never perceived it to be anything other than a race plane with some serious limitations should there be an engine / propeller problem.

BJC

Tiger Tim

My interest, expressed above, is about the aerodynamics of the airplane. I’m still curious.
You could always call the seller, they'd probably be interested in answering the questions of a potential buyer.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
My definition of a successful pylon racer: an airplane that won at least one competitive pylon race. Competitive means that there were other successful racers involved in the race.

BJC
I believe I saw a P-38 race at Mojave once, back in the early-mid '70's, when there was another "national" air race besides Reno.

blane.c

HBA Supporter

I never perceived it to be anything other than a race plane with some serious limitations should there be an engine / propeller problem.

BJC
I wonder if considering "P" factor is going to be outboard of the engine on the starboard wing and inboard of the engine on the port wing if it was intended to use differential power in the turns to reduce the amount of rudder used to counter adverse yaw and to increase maneuverability for passing?