• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is this just the tip of the iceberg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StRaNgEdAyS

From AVweb
A Cirrus SR22 with three people on board landed gently in a grove of trees adjacent to a road near Childersburg, Ala., about 4 p.m. Friday after the pilot deployed the ballistic parachute. All three walked away from the airplane unhurt. The pilot, Kerwin Day, is a certified flight instructor and ATP-rated pilot with over 12,000 hours. He reported that he had control difficulties while attempting to maneuver through an area of in-cloud icing conditions, according to a news release from BRS, the maker of the chute system. The airplane was not equipped with an icing protection system. Day said that while trying to climb to a higher altitude to escape the icing, the airplane began to shake and entered into a stall; it then turned sharply and Day experienced a total loss of control. Larry Williams, CEO of BRS, said, "A scenario of this type is exactly why we at BRS go to work every day. What could have been a tragic disaster had a successful outcome, there were no fatalities in this accident, thankfully there were not even any injuries." FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen told The Associated Press the plane is owned by Trench Shoring Services, a manufacturing sales company out of Colorado. All three people on board are company employees.
[RANT] I knew it would not be long before we started to see incidences of pilots doing things I doubt the would have done if they did not have a BRS. If this guy did not have the BRS in his aircraft I do not think he would have flown into these conditions. This is just one of a disturbing trend I have seen forming where pilots are flying into conditions that are beyond the capabilities of their aircraft because they have a BRS to save their butts. It is dangerous and unprofessional. This rant is not aimed at Cirrus aircraft, which I believe are unsafe anyway, but at the use of the BRS as a primary safety device, not a last line of defense. Don't get me wrong, I do believe the BRS is a great thing, it has the potential to save (and has saved) many lives, but it ushers an era of complacency and willingness to take risks that would have been avoided. [/RANT]

Back