Is there anything out there like this?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Edit. I missed the tri gear, but ten minutes of flight instruction will address that, and be fun, too.

BJC
It took me about four hours of dual, but then I am an old dog - new tricks took more time. And it was fun!

BJC

HBA Supporter
It took me about four hours of dual, but then I am an old dog - new tricks took more time. And it was fun!
Unfortunately, most instructors do not teach proper (at least by my definition) flaring in tricycle gear airplanes. If they did, ten minutes would be adequate: “Use the rudder to keep the tail behind you. If the tail tries to get out of line, stop it with the rudder. Only after stopping it should you make directional correction inputs. Any questions?”

BJC

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I've been told by two different builders and a rep from Vans that it isn't possible to do the RV-3 as a tri-gear, as it would mess up the CG and balance. I'm not an engineer, so I didn't argue.
Van designed it as taildragger only. The redesign to tricycle is probably straightforward. Not possible? Messes up W&B? Pfft. They are not supporting RV-3 and RV-4 anymore and they certainly do not want any "amateurs" messing with the design. Seems a bit snobbish, but it is their design, not yours.

Billski

ScaleBirdsScott

Even if getting taildragger time is theoretically ideal and not a significant barrier to entry, some people may still simply prefer a tricycle gear for a number of reasons, so I feel no need to even question that criteria unless volunteered and stated reasons for it don't add up. It's not like some unreasonable expectation.

Anyway there's a trike version of the CX-4 and Panther which come to mind.

Tiger Tim

Unfortunately, most instructors do not teach proper (at least by my definition) flaring in tricycle gear airplanes. If they did, ten minutes would be adequate: “Use the rudder to keep the tail behind you. If the tail tries to get out of line, stop it with the rudder. Only after stopping it should you make directional correction inputs. Any questions?”
I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way.

E28POWERM20

An "A" model Sonex with the center stick would be a great, roomy single seater, and is available as a tri-gear, and is LSA compliant.