Is preceptor aircraft company closed?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Not off topic and I understand.
It really just describes who is going to Oshkosh. Airplane hobbyest not homebuilt hobbyest.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If it was a popular enough design and you had 3 or 4 at Adventure show up to build excitement I bet the owner of the plans could sell them right out of his airplane on the flightline. It should at least pay for the trip and be fun. For a living, no way.

It would need to be for fun.

If it were me, I'd get 5-6 local guys in Wisconsin to build them, and support them so they could all show up at Airventure in a group. That would build excitement.

It needs to be a airplane people really love. I think the N3 could pull it off. Still tough though.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Often times if people see a community that exists over a particular design the group itself sells the design and excitement. People want to belong to something more than just buying some paper. The legal Eagle ultralight is a prime example, Leonard Millholand is sorta like the "Pope" with that group. Leonard doesn't sell the plans, his salesman do, his salesman are the builders and owners community that exists around the design.

The N3 doesn't have that, it has to many broken links in the chain. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

ScaleBirdsScott

To be fair, if you had a suitable business, and with some friends/family plan to spend a week at the event anyway, going and getting a booth in the Ultralight area is probably not the worst way to go. You can spend the days taking shifts at the tent, talking shop with passers-by, and then going out to explore (and over the course of the week as long as everyone sticks to taking their turns you can see most about everything) And the fees for the booth, once you factor in the passes it comes with and the space you can park a camper right there, you end up not spending much more than you would anyway. The only real cost is the obligation to maintain a booth space for the duration of the show. Which means you might even get some extra business from it!

Once you head over to the other exhibition areas, have to bring people you have to pay/pay for, etc etc... yeah it becomes a larger commitment and the numbers may or may not work well.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If Vans sold only plans they would face the same problem. As discussed prior, scratch building is a small group so selling plans would be a challenge for any design.

TFF

Originally Vans sold plans and the hard to make fittings. He was the lucky one. Quit his job to bet on his little baby P-51 like plane. We don't see it like that now but in 1970 it was a easy way to get your fighter pilot desires without having to build thin tapered wings and really be a great pilot. It looked right and flew right. DING DING DING, WINNER. You do have to have a following; all designs have a following. You have to capture the imagination. The little N3 would have to be reborn as something else; some catch to make people bite. Not changing it from a Cub but something else to make it desirable.

Raceair

Scrapper....not legal..Can't sell anything on the flight line unless you are an EAA sponsored airplane ride or an ice cream cone.....The EAA police grab you and shut you down if you even pass out info packs on the flight line...You merely have to put your business cards on the seat cushion, and tell interested parties to grab one ....

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I was nearly tossed out of Oshkosh for walking around the tiedowns demonstrating my product after the show. Despite the fact I had bought a booth. So please believe me, the fact is that nobody is allowed to sell stuff from out of their airplane, or set up a sales table out in the tiedown areas.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think you can do a forum and sell plans after the forum.
Seen it done.

90% of forums are marketing, unfortunately.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
While I certainly understand the rules it still happens, but that's not really my point. When Earl Luce flew in to Airventure everyone got to meet him and see his airplane.....on the flight line. That builds excitement, that's creates enthusiasm............it sells plans.

My point is, ya gotta show up. These things require work and using others to help build comrade is critical.

If I had the design rights to a true ultralight that looks vintage, like a J3, and the wings folded, I do believe yiu could creat a great community around that and sell plans and parts.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A decent ultralight or sport pilot airplane with truly folding wings.......that LOOKS GOOD, could be epic if someone would design one. The ones currently on the market are not real desirable for many people.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Now, I could be completely out of my mind but a scaled down single seat aluminum ch 701 ultralight would sell. It would be a hit.

Tiger Tim

Now, I could be completely out of my mind but a scaled down single seat aluminum ch 701 ultralight would sell. It would be a hit.
Only if you could keep it in UL. As soon as it outgrows that into LSA or E-AB, I fear all the tire kickers will just be asking when the two seater is coming out.

But man, a rugged tin UL would be great.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
No Scraps, you're not out of your mind at all. According to my dog-eared and 3/4 filled sketchbook (which keeps me occupied on the train to/from work), anyone who is sketching out a single place smaller 701 style airplane with folding wings is a !(#*%$ genius. Really, just ask my sketchbook :)

Mine steals... uhhh, borrows... the wing and tail folding from the Kolbs, the simplified sheet metal and pop rivets from the Zenairs, and the profile fuselage from the Wing Ding / Beta Bird.

FritzW

Log Member
My sketchbook has a wood 350.5 (single seat 701). Sort of a "701 meets HiMax" simi-cowled, flat wrap windshield, tail dragger sort of thing.

...even though I agree something like that should be tin.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Gotta think like Michel Colomban the designer of the Cri Cri. That little twin is 175 pounds empty.

A really clean and spartan minimal so single seat genuine ultralight high wing with 1 man foldable wings would be an incredible hit.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Gotta think like Michel Colomban the designer of the Cri Cri. That little twin is 175 pounds empty.

A really clean and spartan minimal single seat genuine ultralight high wing with 1 man foldable wings would be an incredible hit.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter

A really clean and spartan minimal single seat genuine ultralight high wing with 1 man foldable wings would be an incredible hit.
Well hellloooo there! Welcome to the entrance to the Rabbit Hole ! We're so glad you're here. Right this way to the Rabbit Hole, make sure you have your sketchpad and a #2 pencil, and we'll see you in about 50 years... hurry up now and just dive right on in (big evil smile).

Wanttaja

I like the way team mini max markets their plans and kits. every plans built supplyer should have free cockpit dimension and materials list. noting worse than spending $$$ and find out you don't fit or a bunch of odd size tubing at $7. at foot.
The Bowers Fly Baby:
1. Has the entire fuselage plans available for free download.
2. Has a downloadable materials list, in either Excel or PDF.
3. Has free downloadable full-size templates for many parts, including wing ribs
4. Includes links and notes that allow EAA members to download the original construction instructions from Sport Aviation, so buying plans isn't even necessary.

Ron Wanttaja