Is preceptor aircraft company closed?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It's unfortunate. I've been told the airframe is well engineered.

Someone should buy the rights to it.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I agree. Do you know any small business owner who is interested in building tube and fabric airplanes?

BJC
I'd buy it. Not sure who owns the rights or what he would want for it but I do know what I would pay for it, and I certainly know exactly how I would market it. I think it would be cool to market a neat design. Can't take the money with you, might as well blow it on cool stuff. haha.

MikePousson

I read something a couple years ago that Dwayne Counts had accepted an offer for the rights but he didn't follow up on the sale. AFAIK, he still has the rights. Not sure how correct any of that is. It's ashame that little plane is not being built.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I read something a couple years ago that Dwayne Counts had accepted an offer for the rights but he didn't follow up on the sale. AFAIK, he still has the rights. Not sure how correct any of that is. It's ashame that little plane is not being built.
I'd try offering him 10 packs of cigarettes, a sharpened toothbrush, and a soap on a rope. That's considered a fortune where he'll end up.

MechAeroAuto

That is what I had last read. My understanding is that it took a lot of work to even get that far. What I don't understand is why those assets weren't seized, or why he wasn't forced to sell to reimburse those he owed kits and parts to.

i don't know why Counts wouldn't've done that on his own. Of course, wise decision making hasn't been his forte from what I have gathered. He may have had some sentimental reasons as well.....

pretty sad to see an otherwise respectable company and its designs ran into the ground. The Ultra Pup and STOL King designs are two that would likely be successful if still offered as a legitimate kit.

BJC

HBA Supporter
There are many people who can run a business, and a few people who can design, build test and refine a HBA. The problem is that there are very few who have both skill sets, and the profit potential of a start-up is too small to justify contracting out one set of skills or the other.

Then there is the ICON business model, where the plan is to make as much money in salary, bonuses and other benefits, for as long as possible without actually delivering a product capable of recovering the huge investment.

BJC

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm pretty sure I could market plans, possibly kits. I have zero design knowledge and experience, which I'm fine with. I learned long ago to play to your strengths and focus on that. That's served me well.

I get emotional about older airplanes, it's horrible such a cool design got shelved.......again.

I could sell the schits out of that N3 Cub.

FritzW

Log Member
Serious question. How many "sub-Cub" variants are there?

N3
Super Pup
Ultra Pup
J-3 Kitten
Koala
Super Koala
Pop's version of the Koala
Tiger Cub
Tiger Cub Sport II
...any others?

FritzW

Log Member
Scrapper,

What's stopping you from making after-market parts to support the Pup community? I've got a half finished Ultra Pup. If someone was making parts for it I'd buy them.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Serious question. How many "sub-Cub" variants are there?

N3
Super Pup
Ultra Pup
J-3 Kitten
Koala
Super Koala
Pop's version of the Koala
Tiger Cub
Tiger Cub Sport II
...any others?
How many are still operational?

A scaled down single seat Cub tube and fabric with real folding wings......that looks like a Cub, would easily be marketable.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scrapper,

What's stopping you from making after-market parts to support the Pup community? I've got a half finished Ultra Pup. If someone was making parts for it I'd buy them.
What's stopping me? Well, my current income as a business owner is doing quite well and I'm very happy with what I've built. So, money is not my number one focus with airplanes. Passion is.

If I spent say 20 hours a week trying to build a airplane company for profit I would be a fool because I can spend that 20 hours on my current business because it's more efficient.

So passion. I'd be interested as a buyer in the design.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The product liability issue that expanded in 1980’s has mostly killed the low price Kitplane industry.
The problem remains unsolved.
The ICON business model sort of makes sense. (no product sold)
Because the totally safe aircraft remains uninvented.

FritzW

Log Member
How many are still operational?
I think the Tiger Cub (tube and gusset) and the Fishers (wood) are still going. I don't think the Kitten was ever a kit and we all know what happened to Preceptor. So that leaves the rag and tube market wide open (as far as I know).

A scaled down single seat Cub tube and fabric with real folding wings......that looks like a Cub, would easily be marketable.
I agree, that's why I'm trying to talk someone (besides myself :gig:) into putting out a kit. It's a safe bet Dwayne isn't going to do it since he's not allowed to have hacksaw blades where he's at.