Is it worth it to use the audio out from my GTX325?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Hello,
first off i'm living in no ADSB land. I just got hold of a new Garmin GTX325 and a Garmin GTR200B. This is likely gonna be the only modern avionics installed in my plane for a while besides a semi permanent GPSMAP 695. While studying the transponder installation PDF i've noticed it has some audio out features. It can give altitude alerts before landing and can warn you when you deviate from a pre-set altitude while cruising, and maybe something more. Now i wonder if those are features that have any real life value or if i'm gonna turn them off anyway after a while. Is anyone using those features? Thing is those are all QNE altitudes from what i understand, did not see a way to set QNH or have the capacity to connect a GPS source.

TFF

I think it depends. A friend has them all active. It can be annoying if you know the area well and are flying low. It can be nice for places that are not normal to you. The altitude deviation is pretty handy for my zig gag altitude hold. I don’t think that requires GPS but pretty sure the other features need a GPS. I know if I was running wires, I don’t want to have to do it again if I want a feature.

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Would i use the AUX IN of the GTR200B? the manual isn't very descriptive what this port does and how it behaves. Is the audio signal from this port always audible?

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Like others have said, depends on if you think having "bitching betty" screaming in your ear for traffic and terrain alerts is a help or a hinderance for you. I just installed a 325 in my L-39 and did NOT activate those features. Personally, I find that they reduce my overall SA.