Is it time Yamaha got its own section in the conversion dept....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe. But the criteria for a new section is higher than I would have thought. An "industrial engine" subsection didn't make the cut after being proposed, and they have been the subject of many more threads and posts (and almost surely are in more aircraft) than are Yamaha sled/PWC engines.
I'm not saying sled and PWC engines (all makes?) shouldn't have a section, just that the bar may be higher than it appears.

way_up_noth

Maybe. But the criteria for a new section is higher than I would have thought. An "industrial engine" subsection didn't make the cut after being proposed, and they have been the subject of many more threads and posts (and almost surely are in more aircraft) than are Yamaha sled/PWC engines.
I'm not saying sled and PWC engines (all makes?) shouldn't have a section, just that the bar may be higher than it appears.
As it is.... threads are getting posted in a number of different areas... Would be great to consolidate them... and that there is a Facebook group for this conversion

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I’ve always been a huge fan of “real” airplane engines and I still am but the Yamaha is really something special. It’s had genuine success and the success has been amazing in every aspect.

I’m not sure if I could figure this one out for my Baby Ace but I’d definitely be open to it.

TFF

What does a section do? If it made more complete conversions sure. They don’t. What is needed is completed conversions. Show me some hardware. An extra spot is not needed for that. If things got done, it would always be at the top. Chat, why ? It’s everywhere anyway. It’s not a forum with 2000 posts an hour like RCU use to be. 20 an hour average maybe.

Marc W

There are three basic models. The 2 cylinder Phazer engine is rated at 80 hp by the factory. I think the Phazer is 500 cc's. The 3 cylinder is about 1000 cc's and I think it is rated at 130 hp, it might be more. The 4 cylinders, RX-1 and Apex, also about 1000 cc's, are rated at 140 hp and 160 respectively. The 3 cylinders don't make much sense since they weigh as much as the 4 cylinders and have more problems with TV.

Last edited:

cblink.007

As it is.... threads are getting posted in a number of different areas... Would be great to consolidate them... and that there is a Facebook group for this conversion
As someone about to do a Yamaha conversion, I agree. I do not have Fakebook due to OPSEC concerns from my former career in the military, so having a consolidated thread category here would be great.

On thr lighter side of things, if I personally had the time, I would do some .dwg / .iges files of the Apex to post for others use...same with engine mount frames...that of which we need to do anyways.

Anybody have a 3D scanner to assist with this??

cheapracer

Log Member
As someone about to do a Yamaha conversion, I agree. I do not have Fakebook due to OPSEC concerns from my former career in the military, so having a consolidated thread category here would be great.

On the lighter side of things, if I personally had the time, I would do some .dwg / .iges files of the Apex to post for others use...same with engine mount frames...that of which we need to do anyways.

Already done and available in the Facebook group, darn big file though, I think it's 1 Gig.

I think one of the Members there was going to simplify it to bring the size down in another format.

if I remember correctly there's .dwg drawings as well.

cheapracer

Log Member
Please start a build thread and post lots of photos of the engine work. Also start a parallel discussion thread. That will be the de facto category, at least until there is much more discussion.
There's Youtube videos detailing the Yammy conversion using the SkyTrax redrive.

Lots of people are right into them, plenty of info available as they are all helping each other and documenting everything.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This engine has grown on me (I was an early doubter), but I agree that five or six guys really interested in it doesn't justify a whole new section of the website. If that was the case, where are the sections just for O-200's, and O-320's, and A-65's?

Double-Oh-Seven I understand why someone who's still on active duty would obviously have all sorts of restrictions, but how could Facebook cause a problem after you're out?

way_up_noth

On thr lighter side of things, if I personally had the time, I would do some .dwg / .iges files of the Apex to post for others use...same with engine mount frames...that of which we need to do anyways.

Facebook won’t let me make an account unless I upload a clear picture of my face...they are asking for my passport photo... let that sink in... I’m not trying to use marketplace .. just read the Yamaha forum.., it’s gotten scary ... but that’s where the Yamaha conversion guys put thier forum

Question for you... did you do your own wiring harness trimming?..,, a member is offering to trim the harness for $500...but I’m wondering what he does for that...or if you could just use the harness as is...& live with the extra wires

Is the high coolent temp the only limp home mode the ecu has.., so just don’t hook up the temp sensor to ovoid that?

Thanks
Good luck with your build