• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is it possible to add an additional generator/alternator on a Rotax 503 DCDI install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass256

Supporting Member
Before you ask, yes, I am planning on putting a different engine on the nose at some point. I haven't found a suitable replacement yet for the 503 (The Phazer comes close, but the current gearbox options aren't for me until more testing has been done), & I'm sure it'll be easier to sell the engine as a running package rather than a pile of parts, so I'm going ahead with the install for now.

The problem comes with my electrical load - I'm only using about 6 or 7 amps passively, & as long as I'm aware of when the landing light's on, the integral generator is sufficient, but not perfect.
I was recently gifted a dual USB charging port for my panel, which is something I hadn't budgeted electrical load for; Now that I have one though, the only reason to not put it in is the generator capacity.

I know most of these external generators are belt driven, & the 503 has a belt driven fan; Would it be possible to attach the generator to this belt system somehow? Has anyone already done this?
The external generators I've seen for sale all produce 40+ amps, is there any generator out there in the 20A range? I really don't need anything more powerful.

IIRC, the belt on the fan side is a direct drive to the crank; If this spins too fast for the generator, would it be possible to add the generator to the prop shaft on the gearbox? Or would the additional load damage the engine?

Also, if there's an easier solution I'm missing entirely, please let me know - I'm open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks in advance!

Back