• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is it a question of proportions? Water hull shape and water handling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
It seems to me like the lake buccaneer has a lot to offer , short field takeoff on the ground ,fairly high load ability and reasonable performance.

BUT And this is a huge butt in a seaplane, I have heard that it’s water handling shows a propensity for porpoising and a lack of ability in rough water.

Would the lengthening the hull one or two or a few feet change that?

Or is a whole new hull shape really needed?

Is there an experimental that one could build to get the same performance as the lake buccaneer with better water handling?

Better yet is there something out there with the same four seats, 600 foot takeoff roll at gross weight, and even higher useable load, and better water handling?

Sadly in my world what I really need is something that will let me load 1200 pounds and four seats, Carry a couple hundred pounds of camping gear and still load two or 300 pounds of fuel while boasting extraordinary water handling .

Is there anything like that I can build or buy?

Back