• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is corrosion inside tubing a concern?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino

Supporting Member
I asked this question on the Zenith Flyer's site, but it occurs to me that I'd be stupid not to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience here. So.....

My 750 cabin frame hung from a rafter in my workshop untouched for years after I broke my back. It wasn't exposed to the elements other than humidity in a space that isn't climate controlled (mostly in Ohio). It has some superficial surface corrosion, but nothing structural, and I was planning to have it blasted and powder coated. But that got me thinking. If surface corrosion eventually will form on the surface of the tubing, what happens to the inside of the hollow tubes? My experience in the Air Force taught me that, while superficial surface corrosion isn't a structural concern, it can become such a concern if left untreated for long periods. So has anyone ever thought to consider what happens on the unpainted inside of the tubing over the long term? Powder coating doesn't cover the inside, so is that a concern? The ends of the tubing are not capped in any way, so the environmental effects can apply to the inside of the tubing as well as the outside. Is there a way to mitigate the problem if such a concern is real? And for me personally, should I consider ordering a new cabin frame since mine sat untreated for so many years? Maybe I should just ask Zenith, and figured I probably would, but I was curious if anyone here had considered this stuff.

Back