Is carbon fiber / kevlar fabric of any benefit?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

RSD

We add a ply of similar stuff into the inside of our glider cockpits; the stuff we use intersperses aramid and carbon on both the warp and the weft. Primarily it's there for splinter mitigation when everything else starts breaking.
That's certainly a possible benefit in answer to the question that I posed at the start of the thread.

RSD

German Akaflieg research projects in the 1980s and 1990s showed that there is actually quite a lot that can be done with composite cockpit design to protect pilots. As a result, the gliders of the late 1980s onward are much safer than earlier ones, with a substantially lower incidence of debilitating injuries.

--Bob K.
Bob do you have any links to those research projects or pdf's that you can post? I saw an idea recently that had been installed in gliders that made me wonder whether there were safety ideas that we could learn from the glider community that we could incorporate into our composite homebuilts - this particular idea was an airbag in the seat that when activated would raise the occupant to the cockpit rim which then made bailing out much easier.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Bob do you have any links to those research projects or pdf's that you can post? I saw an idea recently that had been installed in gliders that made me wonder whether there were safety ideas that we could learn from the glider community that we could incorporate into our composite homebuilts - this particular idea was an airbag in the seat that when activated would raise the occupant to the cockpit rim which then made bailing out much easier.
If you google "sailplane safety cockpit," you'll find most of what there is. The big leap in crashworthiness came with the ASW-24, it was the first commercially-available sailplane with a cockpit specifically designed around crash protection.

RSD

If you google "sailplane safety cockpit," you'll find most of what there is. The big leap in crashworthiness came with the ASW-24, it was the first commercially-available sailplane with a cockpit specifically designed around crash protection.
Cheers - will do!

RSD

Many thanks Scheny - as I had started to suspect there is a lot we can learn from the glider crowd!

Scheny

Then you will definitely like my Beast One. It incorporates this and a little bit more.

I have not been happy about a few cornerstones, so I got help from formula racing guys. They convinced me to change to a (literally) bullet proof center tank instead of a wet wing tank between two fail safe spars (they will stay nonetheless) and I also made some changes to the nose, to incorporate the latest lessons learned from small overlap testing with cars.

BR, Andreas

RSD

Then you will definitely like my Beast One. It incorporates this and a little bit more.

I have not been happy about a few cornerstones, so I got help from formula racing guys. They convinced me to change to a (literally) bullet proof center tank instead of a wet wing tank between two fail safe spars (they will stay nonetheless) and I also made some changes to the nose, to incorporate the latest lessons learned from small overlap testing with cars.

BR, Andreas
Hi Andreas,

It sounds like you are on a similar track to my thinking - because I'm designing my plane around a Mazda rotary that everyone says will chew through fuel like there's no tomorrow I've incorporated two wing tanks feeding into a fuselage header tank. I need to find a few of those formula racing guys too!

Yellowhammer

A mix of metals and fibers can result in improved properties. There was an article in Sport Aviation (1970’s) by a company that did tests on carbon wrapped aluminum tubes for ultralights.

I plan on doing just as you mentioned on the nose gear of my Pulsar, which notorious for it's fragility.