Quantcast

Is anyone familiar with the LS7 V-8 powered Hummingbird 300LS?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheapracer

Log Member
The LS7 in the automotive world this is one legengdary engine, so much so I'm even baffled as to why they modified it as 3200rpm is only half of redline, ie; miles within it's limits, an appropriate cam grind to get best performance at 'X' rpm is probably ok.

Check out GM's range of 'Crate Engines' and you will be surprised how cheap they are and also check how big a distance on their pricing of their LS7, you might be inline to save quite a packet getting a local race shop to set it up the cam and dry sump for you.

http://www.drysump.com/kit3.htm

You're in luck, they are even on special right now! GM Parts Direct: LS7 - LS7 Crate Engine

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Now can someone please tell me more about the hummingbird 300ls airframe? I am interested in practical homebuilt helicopter designs.
I believe the basic airframe is the same as the Sikorsky S-52, made into kit form with some updates.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It seems silly to buy an LS-7, then derate it... After all, the really expensive parts of the LS-7 (ti rods, exotic heads/valvetrain, etc) are essentially thrown right out with a low RPM engine. There much less expensive ways to build a 427 inch LS engine of the same power without starting with an exotic engine.

Pretty slick install though. I like the fact that they are going for big torque with those loooong primary tubes.

cheapracer

Log Member
FWIW, I sent the link to my helicopter mad mate and he replied ...

Do you know the background of this kit ? Some guy came across a coupla
hundred helo transmissions and recognised that they were out of the old
Hummingbird - he bought the whole lot for scrap value and created a kit
business around them.

D Hillberg

The business was Orlando Helicopters S-55s & S-52 support,When times changed they sold the business. The new owners built a few QH 55 Target drones for the ARMY and the "kit" Business started, Now Vertical Technologys pump them out as a kit, A Sikorsky 52,

jaso

Have been searching the web looking for owners of Hummingbirds. But it's dead quite... not even in a forum thread. Anywhere. Would be really cool to hear first hand experiences building, flying and owning the Hummingbird.

I am in the sales department for Vertical Aviation and would be happy to answer any questions about our Hummingbird. You can email me at Bethany@Vertical-Aviation.com.

3200 rpm is the rpm the aircraft was originally designed to operate at. The Ls7 produces 325 hp. The original design was designed for 300 hp so we derated it for safety margins. The derating is done by limiting the manifold pressure. The 280 hp is available at 1200 ft. At this altitude, it starts to fall below 280 hp.

Any other questions?

The owners of Orlando Helicopter and Vertical Aviation are the same. And yes, our design is based off of the Sikorsky S52 with improvements that is now sold as a kit.

Our price is higher than a list price because we also include the 4130 chrome-molly steel engine mount, elastomeric mounts, electrical harness, starter, alternator, computer, exhaust silencer, radiator and fan, oil tank and mount, driveshaft, clutch and freewheel unit, flywheel, fuel and oil hoses and fittings, air filter, electric fuel pumps and hardware, everything required to install the LS-7.
You will not find those items in a crate engine cost.

jaso

It's really nice to see development of the Hummingbird. Would you like to give us some more information about the new 300 h.p. six cylinder aircraft powerplant?
Price, fuel consumption, fuel requirement (does it run on 87 octane automobile fuel like the LS7?), maintenance / TBO?
How does the total installation weigh compare to a LS7?

Doggzilla

Banned
HBA Supporter
I want to be supportive of new tech... but why the hell would they pick such an ugly picture? There is a saying that some helicopters fly only because they are so ugly that they repel the ground.

Someone swap that picture for something slightly less grotesque, like one of the many exceptionally good looking ones on the customer page. Nice paint jobs, exactly what the hunk o junk needs. http://vertical-aviation.com/photos/customer-hummingbirds/

Im gonna go grab myself a ginger ale to wash the bit of vomit out of my mouth. Is that really the best pic they could come up with?

Birdy

Theres one of these Hummingbird kits only a hundred miles from me, still in its crate.
not sure wot modle, but 5 seats i think, brand new last year.
wots it worth?
the owner has gon broke, so i mite have to become a scaverger. ;)

Riggerrob

How many Hummingbird kits have you sold? How many hummngbirds are currently flying? How many hours on the highest time Hummingbird?