• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Is a roll illegal without a parachute?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrongway John

Been out of flying for a long time, so I’ve been spending some time reading my FAR book (2009 edition), and if I understand 91.307 (c) correctly, we are not allowed to ever do any banks of 60 degrees relative to the horizon, nor or we to do any nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon without each occupant of the aircraft wearing an approved parachute.

It makes a few exceptions to these rules. E.g., CFI's demonstrating certain manuevers to students, such as spins, stalls, etc.

For the rest of us, a properly done roll doesn’t add any more G’s to the airframe, it’s easy to do, but to make sure if I’m understanding this correctly, to remain legal we must be wearing approved parachutes even to do a roll?

Back