IP address banned, again, and again, and again. WHY?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
IP address banned, again, and again, and again. WHY? Today I finally managed to re-enter this site and had 117 posts to go through due to previously being banned for the third time. Having contacted Admin via the link provided, and btw, gotten no response, I'm wondering if anyone else has been having, or has had, the same problem. I visit 3 aviation forums daily and this is by far the best so you'll understand if I get antzi when I can't get my daily dose.

Comments, causes and or answers please folks.

Rant over. Have a good day every one.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Your the first I've heard with this problem. I understand your discouragement over not being able to access it though. I have noted that most of the network access issues for this forum seem to originate in Australia... is there something different about the network down there? Perhaps the routing goes through another country that has firewall blocks in place?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's anything on this end. Moderators can ban users, and the administrators can ban IP addresses, from posting. Mostly for spam, but very occasionally for excessively annoying behavior (and always with a PM to the offending member), but we don't, and I think can't, block anybody from viewing the forum.

Most of the banned IP addresses are China, and perhaps some from India... Nathan may correct me but I don't think we've blocked any .au addresses.

If you can log on now but couldn't before, it's not an IP address block.

Dana

A politician should do two terms - one in office and one in jail.

clanon

Maybe , just maybe , the problem is your ISP IPs ,
banned for some security certification issue...:ponder:

autoreply

I checked out your posting IP's, the two major ranges (first 2 blocks from IP only, so anything that's within 123.456.xxx.xxx) have respectively one and zero other users, and no spam history or anything related.

As such, it seems very unlikely that it has anything to do with HBA. I've heard similar complaints from Australians on other fora, seems you guys have something special wrt the interwebs?

clanon

Maybe i'm being redundant here, but Off course try Chrome

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Maybe i'm being redundant here, but Off course try Chrome
I think the Chome suggestion is a good one. Chrome seems to be faster than IE on most sites (probably because I haven't loaded it up with extra bells, whistles, and filters yet).

It's worth a try, and the price is right (FREE). You can load it on your system without affecting the operation of Internet Explorer (simply decline the option to make Google Chrome your default browser when it asks you.

(As a side note, I don't think this will fix your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try.)

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys. Sorry to have pointed the finger at the site itself. I use Google, not IE. Tried Chrome and wasn't impressed (can't remember the details). Guess I'll just have to suck it up, as they say.
Use Chrome. I am involved in a reputation management business and we have tested all browsers. Google may have some evil as a company but the Chrome product is good. Better if you use it in incognito mode. I have some stuff that I have to test and it is the only browser that passes. If Chrome isn't working for you it is because you haven't set it up right yet. I don't know what the problem is with ISPs in Oz. Seems no one else has the issues that OZ has.

proppastie

Log Member
I use SeaMonkey and love it, fast and does everything also lots of user options

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... and might even go Apple. ...
Without any bias against Apple products, we've had some issue with their native browser, Safari, and the forums here. If you go with that hardware, you'll still probably want to install a third-party browser like Chrome, Firefox, or IE for Mac. I'm using Chrome, myself, on Windows 8.1 and Android 4.4.2 and, aside from some minor problems with format problems in new posts (completely resolved by using the non-WSYIWYG option on the forum UI), I'm having no issues at all. I think there's enough variance in Windows versions being used here, along with our Linux and Mac users, to rule out some kind of OS-related issue.

Also with no prejudice, I will say that yes, those in Australia (Aircar, Head in the Clouds, RTFM, etc.) seem to be having an inordinate amount of technical difficulties with the HBA site. I don't think it's you guys at all. I have to wonder what's going on/being done to the main Internet backbone going into your country.

M

Manticore

I suspect your ISP is routing through a Chinese satellite which is on somebody's **** list somewhere along the line.

stevetosh

I was experiencing the same problem and contact the administrator several times as well, I don't know why my IP was been banned as I never post anything rather than a daily visit to this site, but while I used other internet to access the site, there isn't any issue about the IP, but when I use my own internet is when it complains my IP has been blocked, I have to use proxy server before I can access this site...I hope the administrator could bail me out