Inverting a G13bb

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Not direct drive. That had not not even occurred to me. My thought was inverted with a gearbox. I like the engine in the vertical orientation, and my project is pretty narrow. Upright with a tall gearbox would be ideal but such a thing does not exist.

I found this guy who converted his to a dry sump, but that might not be necessary with redesigned valve cover.
I have considered the same it is feasible! allot of work and new things to mitigate.

Matt

Attachments

Last edited:

sotaro

I have considered the same it is feasible! allot of work and new things to mitigate.

Matt
Matt,
great photos. Are the side vs fully inverted photos of an actual aircraft engine? or are they photoshop creations? Did you do them? Very impressive, and illustrative of the advantages of inversion for sight lines. Do you have an active project to invert?

Matt,
great photos. Are the side vs fully inverted photos of an actual aircraft engine? or are they photoshop creations? Did you do them? Very impressive, and illustrative of the advantages of inversion for sight lines. Do you have an active project to invert?
Modified photos in powerpoint off Airtrike Website to concept on. The short 3.5 inch crank offset works well on pushers but not as much on tractors. I want thrustine high so I can so I can maintain 9 inches of clearance with the ground and prop tip on landing. Project is only active in my mind but may move ot forward simply solving the inversion issues in a POC on a test stand.

tailwind

wittman did not use a manual trans isolator. it was a rigid shaft with a support bearing. He went through a few shafts till it got stiff enough.