Inverted landing gear question

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Captain_John

How hard would it be to install inverted landing gear onto my RV?

What I want is to be able to double hinge my main gear and tailwheel so it can emerge from either side of the wings and fuse.

I have some initial ideas and am right now cutting the necessary holes in my wing skins for clearance. I have some gear legs from a B-52 that crashed in Maine 40 years ago and I think they will fit if I use smaller tires.

This will allow me the option of doing inverted touch and goes.

Orion, any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

:ban: CJ

dustind

Did someone hack your account or post at your computer when you left for a minute? :D

If it really is you, maybe you could mount a monowheel to your roll bar?

Captain_John

LOL...

Good possibilities!

Well, it is the end of the day so I guess I got you on my April Fools prank!

You can get me next year!

:gig: CJ

Craig

Great!

Really good, John. For a minute I thought your alter ego was Duane Cole.

I was trying to envision how far it would have to extend so that you could open the canopy and drop out.

wally

Just to add a little more usuless info to the topic. I have seen pictures of a Pitts with landing gear top and bottom. His deal at airshows was to get in the plane with it upside down, fly some aerobatics and then land upside down again!
Wally

puggo123

inverted landings

Hi CJ,

Great joke, had me wondering for the first few lines.

The only time I made Oshkosh, some silly joker had installed landing gear on the top wing of his Pitts Special. Just for laughs his aerobatic display included landing inverted. Rather than be dumped unceremoniously onto the tarmac a small winch had been installed to lower him out of the cockpit.

A good friend, Chris Sperou (Australia aero champ a few years back) emulated this feat, but without the second landing gear. At the Aussie equivalent of Reno air races, his Pitts S1S was buffeted during an inverted flyby and skidded along the grass runway much to his surprise. He was a little shaken, but otherwise unhurt. Ego badly bruised.

cheers
Puggo

Captain_John

I am glad you liked it!

I heard about the guy in the Pitts after posting this message. I am sure it was quite a feat! Imagine doing all the motions in your head and having to only reverse the pitch axis for the flare!

Totally unnatural!!!

:p: CJ