Inverted Honda engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Brian Clayton

Since I decided that the next block I will modify will try to use a long sleeve (protruding into the crankcase area like a typical inverted engine), I took a few measurements from one of my cores. Keep in mind, these are total clearance measurements, not including operating clearance.

Head of rod bolt to base of factory cylinder: .220
Crankshaft counterweight to base of factory cylinder: .4365
Depth of factory casting lip (including a bit of cleanup with a die grinder) : .080
Protrusion at cylinder base of factory piston skirt with stock stroke: .2350

With a new sleeve protrusion of .375 from base of block:

Counterweight to sleeve clearance: .060
Total height from sleeve at counterweight to bottom of oil drain area: .455
Total height from sleeve at rod bolt with .060 clearance: .240

Of course, as you can tell from the specs, the sleeve will have to be notched where the rod/crank throw passes at BTDC and ATDC. On the plus side, that will allow the sleeve to act a little as a crank scraper. The rod/crank to sleeve clearance could be tightened up a bit, to a total of .015 or .020 without any problems.

E

ekimneirbo

Brian, have you seen the new Dec 2014 issue of Hot Rod? Really good article there on scratch building an engine......

cheapracer

The only downside is that this thing will have to be turbocharged I imagine......so long 4 cool straight pipes....hello turbine sounding thing.

Great, little turbo with full boost by 3000rom.

Mount the turbo as far away from the engine as you can, there's no need to worry about turbo lag, so nice long pre-exhaust and keep that sucker cool rather than as hot as possible for a typical car setup to avoid lag.

Also the turbo will act as a silencer so there's few wins involved.

Brian Clayton

Great, little turbo with full boost by 3000rom.

Mount the turbo as far away from the engine as you can, there's no need to worry about turbo lag, so nice long pre-exhaust and keep that sucker cool rather than as hot as possible for a typical car setup to avoid lag.

Also the turbo will act as a silencer so there's few wins involved.

It will be interesting to see what hp it will make both ways. When I get the block back from the cnc shop, hopefully it will be closer to figuring out the packaging issues and induction.

M

mate88

I wonder .......... my Mercedes E320 has an all-aluminium V6 with 2 plugs per cy;inder, forged crank+rods++. No idea of weight. Seems like it could be an interesting project for conversion -no?