Introduction

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jeffrey Whittington

Hello, and thank you for allowing me to be apart. I have loved flying since I was about 14. I took my first ride in a Cessna 172 but as I turned 18 I found out I was diabetic. That was over 20 years ago now.
I know that there are provisions now for diabetics to fly so I am looking at all the options. I like the wag-a-bond concept and would like to try my had at building.
Any insist on this aircraft would be appreciated. I look forward to getting to know you all. If there is anyone from Arkansas in this group message me.
-Jeff

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Jeff,

Welcome! Take some time to learn about the Sport Pilot certificate and Light-Sport Aircraft. This requires no medical exam, so diabetes isn't an issue, but is limited to two seats and some weight and performance restrictions (the Wag-A-Bond does fit within the LSA restrictions).

The next level is Private Pilot, which does require a medical but doesn't limit you to two seats and doesn't have the other restrictions. Diabetes is an issue there, you may be able pass a medical depending on the specifics of your case, but I don't know the details. But, the thing is... if you apply for the medical and don't pass, you're forever prohibited from flying as a Sport Pilot, so if you want to take that route you need to do more research and be certain you'll pass before applying. Some AMEs (Aviation Medical Examiners) will do an off the record "consult" before processing the formal application, some won't.

Jeffrey Whittington

Dana,
Thank you for the insight into this issue! I was wondering about the medical for private prohibiting me from sport in the long run.
Thank you again! -Jeff