• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Introduction.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuinnessGuy74

Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old electrical engineer from Long Island. I have been looking at building my own aircraft for about 2 months now. I originally started looking at kits. I was very interested in the RV-7. But then I became really interested in composite designs. I worked for a boat yard in my youth and I am familliar with the workings of glass.

So I started to look at composite designs. All I managed to find were kits kits kits. I could not find but one or two plans-built that were not canards. Since I am not interested in building canards, I was settling on the Vision by Steve Rahm.

The Vision looks like a very nice aircraft. However, the support network does not look very strong (save Steve himself, or one or two builders). I ordered the Info and Preview plans to see the quality, so I wont be able to judge until I see them.

I also really like the Osprey's GP-4 performance. However it is not a composite. Call me crazy, but after seeing the way some wood rots (even glass and epoxy covered), I just dont "feel" that strongly about it. I know it is a completely irrational fear. I am sure some of you will put my mind at ease on this subject.

If anyone can point out any composite plans similar to the GP-4 I would really appreciate it. Anyway, sorry for the very long intro......got a little carried away! I am glad I found this group and I look forward sharing ideas with you!

Jim

Back