• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Introduction & the questions you'd expect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dxlusby84

Howdy all,

I've got a father who's had several airplanes and never got a one of them built, including what would be a gorgeous Waco BSO with a Continental W670 radial... I'm getting my PPL in about two months, my first house / property in the next year and the very next thing I"m looking to do is build a from-plans or from-kit aircraft that's within my capabilities to learn the necessary skills and accomplish.

I've looked @ the pietenpol, but I'm 6'0, 270 and the Piet seems awful narrow for someone of my size... My preference is to work in wood, for a couple reasons (feel free to correct my reasoning) - I'm going to burn materials as I learn, and failures with wood are cheaper than failures with metal, and because I would like to stay fairly inexpensive for this first project as I'll put some real financial muscle behind the second project once I've got some confidence - especially if that second project is the restoration of the Waco...

I'd love to chat with anybody with restoration experience or hear about kits/plans that would make a good first project.

-Devin

Back