Interiors

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by skier, Dec 17, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 19, 2015 #41

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

First of all. Thank you for doing that.

Second, regarding your interior material: I like it. It almost looks like velour or velvet.

Third, I love the "Cleanex", "Daughter of Cleanex", etc.

2. Dec 19, 2015 #42

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Just seems to me that some guys put a little too much stuff in a small cockpit ... and I can't see that being much fun to fly! Here you go ... :roll:

[​IMG]

Dale
    N319WF

Mark Z and SVSUSteve like this.
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #43

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Single-seat sailplanes gain about 12-15 lbs by going for a leather interior, so makes sense.

I really don't get the mess instrument panels of most powered aircraft are. Simply have it tilt-up with the canopy, sailplane style:
    2048481.jpg

Now you've solved all issues. Easy ingress/egress, pull a pin and the canopy shoots off (parachute deployment). Untighten spring and you can take the canopy off, voilá full access. Fold seat-back forward, remove simply inspection panel (2 pins) and you have full access to most controls, gear etc. Hinged seat bottom and you have full access to all controls...

4. Dec 19, 2015 #44

Pops

Pops

Pops

Very nice.
    Where is your "Experimental " placard ? On the outside ?

Dan

5. Dec 19, 2015 #45

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Yes. Entry is from the pilot's side only. I made it part of the wing walk area.

Experimental letters.jpg

Dale
    N319WF

Tiger Tim, Joe Fisher and Midniteoyl like this.
  6. Dec 19, 2015 #46

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

7. Dec 19, 2015 #47

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Look at those plates holding the throttle and mixture and trim controls. Looks like they're made of 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum plate. I sure hope not. Stuff like that, sprinkled thoughout a homebuilt, really adds up, and in any accident your legs fly around and rigid bits like that, sticking out like they are, will make serious alterations to your anatomy.

It's alsways a challenge to me, when I make any small mdification or add something, to spend some time thinking about it and coming up with a design that adds the minimum weight and doesn't get in the way or present undue hazard. It's not easy. Easy is just using whatever's handy without regard to other factors.

BoKu likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2015 #48

BJC

BJC

BJC

Dan:

Please post photos of the panel and interior of the airplane that you built so we can critique your decisions and work.

Thanks,

BJC

9. Dec 19, 2015 #49

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Might get around to that after a couple more small mods. Trying to eliminate some weight. The interior is now 20 years old and starting to need renewal, especially since it's parked outside all the time now. Someone else also wanted some pics and drawings of my engine preoiler, too, and I haven't had the time for that. Too much work and other stuff.

10. Dec 20, 2015 #50

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

1 out of 4 ain't bad? Or is it 0 out of 4? There's no shortage of napkin sketchers and I don't really consider that designing until said design is built and proven (or built and failed). I'd be impressed if you posted a pic of something you designed and built but everything claimed so far seems to be classified or patent pending.

11. Dec 20, 2015 #51

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Snaps and zippers are sometimes used and they have their issues as well. In the end, the interior fastening system needs periodic maintenance just like the rest of the airframe which is why less is better. I just don't see the reason for an extravagant "Lexus" type interior in a light plane, it's just out of place. It's like equipping a Sunfish with an upholstered, swivel captain's chair. Corporate bizjet is a different story. A VP-1 or other wood plane looks great with varnished wood. Painted, polished, anodized or etched is fine for aluminum. Zolatone textured paint is fine for the fiberglass jobs.

SVSUSteve and BoKu like this.
  12. Dec 20, 2015 #52

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

If it's a 20 minute ride, what difference does it make? If it's a 4 hour ride I'm interested in comfort.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  13. Dec 20, 2015 #53

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I think we're confusing "comfort" with "esthetics". There is no reason a spartan, yet well designed interior cant be exquisitely comfortable. And by the same token, an interior draped in supple leather and polished wood is no guarantee that it's a nice place to park your ass for 6 hours at a stretch.

dcstrng, Joe Fisher, Himat and 6 others like this.
  14. Dec 20, 2015 #54

rbarnes

rbarnes

rbarnes

I have and the facts are still the facts. The guy ended up 300+ lbs heavier than he should of, then magically increased the max gross weight by 100 lbs and doubled the amount of fuel in the wings without consulting any kind of engineer. Just because he made it through the first 40 hours doesn't mean he wont break a wing off at 400 hours from an over stressed airframe ... not to mention things like moving the seat belt anchor location to an area that could cause sever back injury.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  15. Dec 21, 2015 #55

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

:Caution: Thread Drift -

I'm not here to defend what he did as correct but I also know that these are "experimental aircraft." I have an aircraft that is not nearly what it was intended to be as it has an engine not supported by the factory, and ~8% bump in gross weight. I didn't do this blindly as it had been done before by a few others. But the successful package came from an aircraft designer, builder, and test pilot and the result is an extremely well thought out and executed FWF kit that the designer tested through all phases of flight including aerobatics (which I don't do).

My G-rating at gross weight comes from manufacturer information for the ultimate loads and G-ratings for gross and aerobatic loadings and is higher than the ATSM requirement for SLSA aircraft at gross weight.

This decision came from loving the air frame and it's handling characteristics but not being warm and fuzzy over the factory engine offerings believing that the lower HP ones simply did not have the reliability and power I needed (Aerovee VW conversion) and the others not fully developed (Jabiru 3300) as many Service Bulletins and required fixes were being sent out for engines that were supposedly flight tested and fully developed for the market.

This is not to slam anyone or their choices but simply to explain mine and give some insight into why some builders choose other options. Doing so requires much thought and careful analysis. I did a great deal of research and followed a well beaten path to success.

While I have a tremendous amount of respect for Vans I also believe that you can't play both sides of the fence. As a kit manufacturer if you want the protection afforded by the experimental label for instances like this:

Family of girl, 4, who died in 'homebuilt' airplane crash on Oregon Coast sues for $35 million | OregonLive.com

... then you have to understand that builders have the right to do what they desire with the kit once it becomes theirs. All builders and their modifications are not smart.

How much stink was raised over the RV-4 becoming a Harmon Rocket? According to this article there were some major changes made that included shortening the wings, widening the fuse. and a gross weight increase of 250 lbs:

Pirep-Harmon Rocket II

This appears to have been a carefully researched and tested program. The success of the Rocket confirms that. My thoughts are that experimenters should be allowed to experiment. Having said all this I don't believe I would ride in the RV-10 in question, nor would I allow any unsuspecting family or friends to do so without proper admonition.

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    113.4 hours / Status - Flying

16. Dec 21, 2015 #56

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Experimenting to improve a product or prove a theory is one thing, but ignoring basic engineering principles while hiding behind the experimental category is quite another.

17. Dec 21, 2015 #57

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

My wife flat out told me that before we bolt the seats into the Praetorian we are putting them in the living room, strapping ourselves in and watching the original Star Wars trilogy as a test of comfort. If we can't make it through one of the movies without getting uncomfortable it means the design will need to be modified.

Did I pick a winner or what?

Streffpilot, gtae07 and bmcj like this.
  18. Dec 21, 2015 #58

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You must be talking about a lottery ticket???

If you mean your wife it's nice she lets you hold on to this fantasy the we do the picking. ;)

19. Dec 21, 2015 #59

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Technically, she asked me to marry her so it was my choice to say yes or no in a way. But yes, she is the boss. LOL

20. Dec 22, 2015 #60

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I totally agree! Perhaps this subject needs to be moved to its own thread but this now begs the question of how preventing that can be done.

Who is to say what is allowed and what isn't. The inspector for the A/W certificate isn't responsible for all the choices that builders make.

It's a bit like freedom of speech. Most believe that people should have a right to express their views even though some statements are going to be objectionable and some quite controversial. Some things are not allowed such as yelling "fire" in a crowded theather. So in the experimental aviation world who is to say what is allowed and what isn't? Most builders are not engineers and a few seem to be graduates of the Rube Goldberg & Edward A. Murphy school of aircraft construction.

I'm certainly not trying to defend the doing of stupid things by ignorant builders; and trust me that I've seen a few. I've had pilot/builders ask me to fly some contraption that they've put together because they wouldn't fly behind their own ideas. I have absolutely refused to do so and seen a friend almost killed for doing what I refused to do and advised him not to do.

So the age old question remains ... how to keep the Darwin award winners to a minimum while allowing "experimental" aircraft building all the rights and privileges it deserves? Perhaps there is never going to be an answer to this question as trying to make rules to out smart idiots only proves that idiots are smart at not being outsmarted.

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    114.1 hours / Status - Flying

dcstrng likes this.