Interiors

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by skier, Dec 17, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1

skier

skier

skier

I've always been disappointed by the interiors in aircraft, especially homebuilts (RV, Sonex, Long-EZ). They all tend to look cheap. I've seen a couple Velocitys that looked decent, but still not great. Has anyone seen or found photos of a really nice interior? Like a Maserati for fixed wing single engine aircraft?

2. Dec 17, 2015 #2

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

There are plenty of high end interiors in the big dollar RV-10 world, and I'm sure a google search would turn up plenty of pictures.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #3

BJC

BJC

BJC

I have seen plenty of really nice homebuilt interiors.

The beauty of HBA is that you may build it or buy it the way that you want it.

BJC

SVSUSteve likes this.
  4. Dec 17, 2015 #4

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

5. Dec 17, 2015 #5

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

"Men prepare a meal for enjoyment, and wine makes life merry, and money is the answer to everything". :)

6. Dec 17, 2015 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

Plush costs weight, and weight costs performance.

Dana

Vision_2012 and Daleandee like this.
  7. Dec 17, 2015 #7

Pops

Pops

Pops

I would rather have the extra performance over the extra weight of a high end auto interior. But, that's me, your mileage might vary.

Picture of the interior of my daughters 1947 Cessna 140 that we restored. A little different than what Cessna did in 1947. These are C-150 seats frames.

Dan

Attached Files:

8. Dec 17, 2015 #8

TFF

TFF

TFF

Nice seat covers and something to cover the sound deadening, if you have it, is all you can afford weight wise. Light carpet. Oshkosh can be the place to see it, but most people stopped. The fit and finish was great but adding 150 lbs over normal interior of pretty always made them wonder where their performance went. The biplane I am restoring has upolstered side interior panels and nicknack trim, all getting pitched. Got to get rid of the weight, I dont care if I see 4130. I have heard of some Tailwinds that empty weights were 1100 lbs; you shoot for 850.

9. Dec 17, 2015 #9

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Through my restoration I thought I'd lose weight but in fact I gained 89# since factory new. Even with all the old equipment removal. It's a mystery to me but weight isn't really an issue, fortunately, but I find it hard to see 89# in soundproofing and new interior. This takes into account gear door and actuator removal by a previous owner. The only thing I could imagine is half of it comes from my upgrades and the other from progressive paint addition. I did move forward one inch in CG.

10. Dec 17, 2015 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

Especially with a homebuilt, the materials might not be as light as the expensive aviation ones. I know of a helicopter that has a bench seat back cushion that has to weigh 25 lbs; it should be about 15. I know of another that was upholstered by someone who did boats; hardware ply bottom and staples.

11. Dec 17, 2015 #11

BJC

BJC

BJC

I'm terribly sorry to have to tell you, but the answer to everything is 42.

BJC

12. Dec 17, 2015 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Part of the Icon A5 marketing scheme is a snazzy sportscar-like interior.

13. Dec 17, 2015 #13

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

Blue Chips

So I've heard, tell you what, you can have the 42 and I'll take the money and then we will take a poll on who looks happier :D

SVSUSteve and BJC like this.
  14. Dec 17, 2015 #14

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

It's an advantage of designing ab initio: you can factor in a decent interior from the start.

15. Dec 18, 2015 #15

skier

skier

skier

The SR-22 isn't bad, either is the Cessna TTx. Diamond, Piper, and Beech all seem to fall a bit short.

Most of those tend to be on the same level as a McMansion. They just feel & look cheap. Sure they're finished, which is more than most homebuilts, but thats about it. It's like the difference between a real Barcelona chair and knock-off.

Do you have links to photos? That's what I'm looking for, but I haven't been able to find any online.

That always seems to be a quick answer when people talk about interiors. I guess that explains aircraft like this:
    rv4_208.jpg

But, does the interior in a Ford Focus really weigh any less then the interior in a Maserati? It seems to me that one of the biggest differences is quality of the ingredients. However, I could be wrong.

But again, it just comes out looking cheap. I'm not talking about making it look like a car interior. Just making it high quality.

16. Dec 18, 2015 #16

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

No offense but your attitude reminds me of a guy I saw throw a world class hissy fit when the charter operator dared to send a Gulfstream IV instead of a newer GV.

How about YOU show us what you're defining as nice since examples of nice interiors are going to just be "superficial" or "cheap" in your opinion.

I do agree there are a lot of crappy interiors out there because people still treat the interior design techniques advised by older generations like Bingelis etc as being acceptable when producing a top notch homebuilt.

Here's one of the nicest instrument panels I have ever seen in a homebuilt (see attachment View attachment instrument_panel.pdf

IMG_5069.jpg
    throttle_detail.jpg

17. Dec 18, 2015 #17

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

That's a really nice interior, but all that leather adds weight in a hurry.

I view fancy, expensive interiors the same way I view fancy, expensive instrument panels. They're often there just to impress our friends. In certified aircraft, they're there to sell it.

In homebuilts, the interior is the last thing to get done, and the money is often gone by then.

18. Dec 18, 2015 #18

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Agreed although I would argue that the reason for panels is depends on your goals. If you're planning on sunny $100 hamburger runs, you can probably get by with a panel that looks like something von Richthofen flew behind. If you're planning on IFR operations then it's a different story and there's a weight penalty in many cases to having a bunch of old steam gauges.

My interior is being thought up for the purposes of comfort. What anyone else thinks of it is completely irrelevant. Then again, if I spend several years building something and will be spending 3-4 hours at a time getting around in it, I don't want it to look like it should be parked outside of a crack house or like something that was cobbled together by some redneck in his barn from whatever he happened to have laying around (in other words, like a lot of the early homebuilts that gave the hobby the reputation of being amateur hour and not in a good way).

Yup. That's the one drawback to thinking aesthetics have a significant place in aircraft design. I'd remove a seat in order to spare the weight so I could have a nicer interior. It's all a matter of what one feels is more important. If you're looking to go screaming around pylons, safety and comfort are probably the first things to go. If you're looking to poke along at 80 knots between grass STOL strips, you're probably going to start wondering if the weight savings of not wearing socks and underwear might save you a couple of feet in your takeoff roll. If you're looking to get point A to point B with a minimum amount of fuss and discomfort, then you're probably going to be more concerned with the padding and appearance of your seats.

To each and to their own but if I can't afford to finish my build out the way I want, then I'm not going to settle for something that is displeasing to the eye because all the wires, cables, structure and lines are hanging out for all to see. Then again, I'm not quite so snobby as to think if that makes a person happy with their build that mine is superior.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  19. Dec 18, 2015 #19

BJC

BJC

BJC

20. Dec 18, 2015 #20

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve