Interesting Tool Fail

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Kyle Boatright, Jun 25, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I've had two Dremel tools die on me during my RV-10 project. Apparently a tool more or less designed to create dust doesn't handle dust very well.

Anyway, when the second one died, I ordered a Wen brand Dremel knock-off through Amazon.

Last night I was using it (with a sanding drum attachment) to smooth the edges of NACA ducts I was cutting into the side of the fuselage. Then, suddenly, the thing (the knock-off Dremel) started vibrating like crazy. I'm glad I had a good hold on it or it could have jumped out of my hand.

Turned out that the shaft on the attachment had bent about 60 degrees, putting the sanding drum about an inch or so off of the axis of rotation. At 10,000 rpm, that'll cause a heck of a vibration. I'd noticed that the runout on the shaft wasn't good, so what must have happened was that at 10,000 RPM, the runout on the shaft was sufficient to apply enough centrifugal force to bend the shaft. Just bizarre.

After that abuse, the collet on the thing has a *lot* of runout. It wobbles a noticeable amount even at low RPM. So I guess I'm going to have to order Dremel (or equivalent) number 4 for the project. Rrrrrrr.....

2. Jun 25, 2017 #2

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Yeah, I hate cheap tools.
    A friend gave me a small Dremel type motor tool made in 1930 or something, long before Dremel. Still works.

RPM314 likes this.
  3. Jun 25, 2017 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a bunch of Dremel tools of various vintages and conditions, but I recently picked up a Foredom flex shaft tool, which blows the Dremel away as far as quality is concerned.

Dana

slevair likes this.
  4. Jun 25, 2017 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I developed a 1/4" router habit. Cheap chinese 1/4" routers make great die grinders for the jobs that are a bit big for a dremel. Good for porting, they don't need a monster compressor or a glove, unlike air grinders.

5. Jun 25, 2017 #5

Paulie

Paulie

Paulie

I use pneumatic tools exclusively bought them while working at the airlines. Electric tools not allowed anywhere near a airplane. Must have a fairly large compressor to keep up with them though.

6. Jun 25, 2017 #6

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Foredom is the ultimate, once you have one you'll cherish it.

7. Jun 25, 2017 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

I use the Dremel for models mostly. A friend went through a couple of dremels on his first RV so on big planes he uses a Rotozip.

8. Jun 25, 2017 #8

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

A Dremel tool cost about the same as a good table saw blade. If it goes bad throw it away and get a new one.

...this from the guy who's had the same two Dremel tools for almost 30 years :gig:

9. Jun 25, 2017 #9

BJC

BJC

BJC

I periodically vacuum out the fiberglass dust from my second Dremel. It seems to have helped it last longer than the first.

BJC

10. Jun 25, 2017 #10

Pops

Pops

Pops

My wife bought my first Dremel in about the mid 60's , it lasted about 20 years, the second dremel about 15 years , the third dremel about 8 years , the fourth dremel about 4 years. I'm about Dremeled out.

11. Jun 26, 2017 #11

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I never had any attraction to or use for Dremel tools whatsoever. My sister was sold on them though and had a big set. I borrowed it one time to make one side of a ring I had made from a Vandium Steel 3/4" socket (the same kind you wrench on your car with in your toolbox) match exactly the other side and smooth the inside ridges a bit.

I gave the ring to a friend since I don't wear them who promptly threw it away (in some body of water in Coventry, England) like an idiot when she felt like she had some kind of friendship falling out with me in her brain... but I still have the piece of socket I cut off which is how I can tell you it was 3/4" and fit my finger just fine... if you ask me what my ring size is... it's 3/4" socket :)

It looks gold in the picture of an ebook cover I made... from reflection off the gold foil foam board behind it, but it's Vanadium steel (the same stuff used in Ford Model T frames):

BookCover - The Ring.jpg

Lots of Showers of Sparks in my kitchen sink cutting the end of the socket off with an alluminum oxide cut off wheel.. I felt like some kind of volcano god or Dwarf under a mountain fabricating the one true ring...

First and last time I'll probably ever have use for a Dremel. Unless maybe I wanted to perform dentistry on myself?

Someone gave me a much bigger tool than a Dremel they couldn't figure out how to use called a RotoZip, which is probably the most dangerous tool I own. That high speed torquee SOB gets away from you and it will take some fingers with it, esp. with a razor sharp router bit on it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  12. Jun 26, 2017 #12

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I think I've torn up the bearings in my Dremel trying to use it like a router (I chucked up a 1/8in endmill and put the router cage on it to cut some access panels a couple years ago). I wish I could just buy a replacement motor/bearing assembly but the tool model is discontinued and I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.