• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Interesting spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveK

Supporting Member
I was driving down the highway and saw an sailplane on a trailer with and interesting spar carrythrough. The two spars (left and right) appeared to join via two very large tapperd pins projecting from the end of the spar that fit in a corresponding fitting on the opposite spar. Just outboard of the pin fitting on each spar half was a hardpoint for a through bolt to attach to the fuselage. So it looks like all the bending loads are transmitted by the pins and the bolts only took the loads from fuselage weight. Seems like an interesting way of doing it, but I would think that the pins would be suseptible to fatigue as they are subject to repeated bending. I would also think that if the cross bolts were used for both bending and fuselage weight loads (sized accordingly of course) that the resulting attachment would weigh less.

Any thoughts about this?

Dave

Back