Interesting generator

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks, it will be interesting to see if they have/can overcome the lubrication challenges and emissions issues these designs often encounter.

John.Roo

Thanks - interesting link 👍

16 kW / 110 kg....
Meny people will say:
"That is far too much, is possible to make it lighter."
Yes, in theory on paper is all possible.

However I prefer realistic numbers...
16 kW of continuous power in 110 kg box (version for aviation) seems to me acceptable (if really works).
aquarius.jpg
15-17 kg motor
3-5 kg controller
50 kg battery (10 kWh)
110 kg Aquarius generator
-----------------------------
= +-190-200 kg installation weight of propulsion system (incl. wiring etc.)

Plus...
200 kg for airframe.
180-200 kg for pilots... and we are on the border of LSA MTOM 600 kg.
That means no large reserve for fuel but for prototype could be acceptable :)

I still would have few questions....
1) of course - price
2) dimensions
3) other characteristics when is engine/generator running (vibrations, noise, temperature etc.)

Lets see if they will show photos/videos from real installation.
So far is the web obviously designed more for investors :)

rv7charlie

16kw (21 HP, before conversion losses through wire/electric motor) from well north of 200 lbs, using unproven tech?

The same 15-17kg motor mentioned earlier could easily be used for the generator segment, and the driving engine could be (the 1st thing that comes into my head) the little Yamaha Phazer snowmobile engine at ~55kg running, but capable of around 60 kw (80 HP) output, so it'd be not much above idle to run the generator at 16kw. And you'd at least know that the engine will 'just work'.

And we haven't yet talked about the piston/shaft moving end-to-end with no balance mechanism....

berridos

It runs on hydrogen. The hydrogen paste from the frauenhofer institute would avoid pressure tanks i think they opted for the paste

dog

Its interesting all right,like how the "piston rod"
is also one of the valves and manifold all in one.
So it might be hard to scale up and down and
have the flows work out.
Kind of like a compression ignition driver for putting pipe piers in the ground.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Just a modern take on the “Screamin Demon”. The Demon used the free piston as a ”gas generator“ the “Work“ was thrust from the exhaust. It was reported to be horrifically loud so I’m betting this will be too, so add a fair amount of weight for a muffler…

Bill-Higdon

Just a modern take on the “Screamin Demon”. The Demon used the free piston as a ”gas generator“ the “Work“ was thrust from the exhaust. It was reported to be horrifically loud so I’m betting this will be too, so add a fair amount of weight for a muffler…
Also the "Free Piston" engine

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
I am curious why such a large battery. Fuel for the engine is always lighter than an equivalent energy battery. Maybe a smaller battery to assist with take-offs and climb outs.

I built a free piston engine a while back. It really was a screamer and I can see why the muffler would have to be significant to make the drone acoustically stealthy.

Vince Homer

dog

I am curious why such a large battery. Fuel for the engine is always lighter than an equivalent energy battery. Maybe a smaller battery to assist with take-offs and climb outs.

I built a free piston engine a while back. It really was a screamer and I can see why the muffler would have to be significant to make the drone acoustically stealthy.

Vince Homer
The gap between the energy density of fuel and batteries is closing,and the rate of closure is accelerating.Fuel is useualy lighter,exceptions are the high altitude electric solar planes with endurance that is truely amazing,the mars flyer,rovers,there are going to be more.
And whadaumean you built a free piston motor?What other motors do you build?
You gota know better than to just toss out something like that to a bunch of gearheads.