Interesting Characters in Aviation.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dwalker

Interesting; I didn’t know that any Four Winds were flying. Any information about it?

BJC
Not flying as yet, but it was turbine powered, had an engine failure, owner lost interest, and at some point this fellow bought it. He has the engine all mounted up, just needs to finish refitting the cowl and do some panel work.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
As fast as he gets things done, will not be long.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Steve Wolf is a friend and a neighbor. He is working on his 26th homebuilt. Many of his homebuilts were original designs, and some, such as Sean Tucker’s Oracle Challenger III were highly modified Pitts. Tucker’s 'Oracle Challenger III' arrives at Smithsonian BTW, Steve had Curtis’ blessings for all of his Pitts work, and approval to call them Wolf Pitts. Curtis was the best man at Steve and Kathy’s wedding, aloft in a hot air balloon at Sun n Fun.

Steve worked for the King of Jordan, establishing a formation aerobatic team flying Pitts. Steve is a great raconteur, and has many stories that end with, “It’s good to know the king!”

Steve is in the ICAS hall of fame, as both a performer and a designer / builder.

On top of all of that, he is a good guy.

BJC

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Every time i see the title of this thread I keep thinking of some of the people here. You know who you are. ;)

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I have been priveleged to know a few.

Guinness lists Ed Long as the world highest time pilot, at more than 65,000 hours. He was flying power line patrol for Alabama Power when I was a very junior birdman at the FBO, in a Super Cub, N400MA, at less than 200 feet even when it seemed like the ducks were walking. We kids all thought Ed was a god. For sure the Cub was an extension of his mind.

For years, Ed flew with an observer named Percy, whose job it was to write down everything Ed spotted along the line. Percy had a drinking problem, and to be honest, was usually drunk when he got in the back seat. Still, he got the job done, and Ed didn't seem to care as long as he didn't touch anything.

Now understand, Ed was a true mild mannered Southern gentleman, so when one day he returned from a flight, cussing and throwing things around the lobby, we were more than a bit surprised. Turned out Percy had fallen asleep, and Ed had dictated about 60 miles of line notes without realizing it, because apparently Percy didn't snore.

I seem to recall Percy was absent from the FBO for a few weeks, then one day he was back. Old couples are like that.

About 15 years ago a flight instructor friend of mine told me he went to the Hammond, Louisiana airport (KHDC) to take his Multi Engine rating practical examination flight and said as he was walking into the FBO he passed by this lady that looked as old as methuselah. He said she was smoking a filter-less cigarette as he passed by and didn't pay her anymore attention.

He then proceeded to check in and asked where he might find his examiner and the person at the desk said you just walked right passed her as you entered the building.

Never one to judge a book by it's cover, he promptly went outside and introduced himself. I have no idea who the lady was as I cannot remember the name he gave me.

What I do remember is that he found out later from her (after his exam) that she had over 40,000 flight hours logged as P.I.C.

Turns out she was in the WAAF during the Second World War and that was how she earned her wings. She had logged time in every fighter and bomber aircraft that the United States had or produced during the War ferrying planes across the U.S. and also overseas.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. She well on up there in years and he said she was in excellent health despite smoking filter-less Camels for 60 some odd years.

I too am an Alabama boy. What part of the Great State are you from?

galapoola

At dinner in the hotel, after the Memorial Day Parade in Wash DC. Chuck Yeager was in attendance, he road in a vintage 50’s T-Bird. Sat next to his table. I didn’t want to seem like a fanboy so I just eavesdropped. He spent the whole time talking aviation and yes he swears like a sailor.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Chuck Yeager is local for me. Some of his family is my neighbors. Have been around him at local airports. He has a nice family.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Family all from Blount County, but I've been in the Montgomery area almost 40 years.
Small World. I am from Sardis, Alabama. In fact, the old Craig Air Force Base basically joins our families property. I have been living in Louisiana for the past 20 years and have been trying to get back home ever since.

Only planned on staying here for 3 months max, then I met my wife and you know how it goes. So I made a deal with my wife that we would work until retirement and then it's gonna be sayonara Louisiana and we are moving back to Fairhope. We have good jobs and I have the most wonderful in-laws a man could ever hope to have so it hasn't been all that bad living over here but nothing, and I do mean nothing, beats home.

We lived with my grandmother after my grandfather passed away to help her with the closing of the farm and when my mother took another job with the state my sophomore year, we moved to Daphne-Fairhope where I finished high school.

Dav3xor

About 10 years ago, I was working for one of the Experimental EFIS manufacturers as a software engineer. Every year at Oshkosh we'd have dinner with Stein Bruch and his employees. Lots of beer, shop talk etc. One year, Stein got hold of a bunch of our logo'd shirts, and silk screened his logo below ours, Just to let people know who they should use if they wanted someone to build a panel with out stuff in it.. He gave me one to wear back at our booth, just to make it official.

I believe he also built a motorized couch to drive around Oshkosh? That was before my time.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Ted Setzer worked with Tom Hamilton to develop the Glasair I, III, and all variants of the -II. He was also involved in the development of the GlaStar and Sportsman 2+2. He built a unique E-AB based on the Sportsman.

Ted is another great story teller, and has many personal experiences that are really funny. If you meet him, ask about his harvesting evergreen seeds to make money to continue development of the prototype Glasair.

BJC