For Sale Interest in reprints of Rohr 2-175 Fanjet book by Richard Fraser

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by zk-jkw, Nov 22, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2018 #1

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

Hi All,

I have been in contact with the author of the book on the Rohr Fanjet. Unfortunately the book is out of print however if there are enough orders he is willing to get a small print run done.

The 164 page paperback book (with colour) contains information on the design, development and construction including drawings, photos and commentary by Don Westergren the test pilot on the development of this unique aircraft.

http://www.fraseraerotechnologycompany.com/Rohr_2-175_Fan_Jet.html

[​IMG]

If you'd like to add a unique aircraft book to your collection... consider buying this for yourself for xmas :)

The cost is US$19.98 + shipping. Please reply to this thread if your genuinely interested in being added to the list of purchasers. If there is enough interest I will contact everyone with the authors details so that he can organise a print run.

I am trying to generate interest for 22 more books for a print run hence the need to get a response rather than just directly contacting the author.

Thanks

Justin

Disclaimer: I have not seen the book and have no relationship with the author or the publisher.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. Nov 22, 2018 #2

Himat

Himat

Himat

Interested in the book yes.
    Tax on books?
    Books are one of the few things that are not taxed here.

3. Nov 22, 2018 #3

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

Thanks for registering your interest Himat.
    I simply copied the 8% California state tax listed on the authors site which would only apply to CA locals.
    Obviously your sales tax will depend on where you are. No tax on books... nice!

VP1 likes this.
  4. Nov 22, 2018 #4

AJLiberatore

AJLiberatore

AJLiberatore

I'm in, he was out when I finally went to get one as my birthday present for myself. I won't miss out on this, heck I may take 2 and donate one. Think about your chapter libraries fellow HBA-ers, this might be a read fellow chapter members may have to wait for as the book is out!

5. Nov 22, 2018 #5

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I already have mine. Got it new through Amazon.

6. Nov 22, 2018 #6

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

Glad you have a copy already. Unfortunately its no longer available there

7. Nov 23, 2018 #7

bwainfan

bwainfan

bwainfan

8. Nov 23, 2018 #8

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

9. Nov 23, 2018 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Good luck on your order efforts, it’s a worthwhile goal. Did they say how many orders they want to go back into print and what assurances the want of follow-through (like maybe X dollars in cash up front)?

10. Nov 23, 2018 #10

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

The book is print to order so not going into a full print run. In other words you won’t find it instore unless they order too! After half a day I’m up to 6 but have yet to try a few other avenues to drum up interest.

11. Nov 23, 2018 #11

AJLiberatore

AJLiberatore

AJLiberatore

bmcj likes this.
  12. Nov 30, 2018 #12

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

Just had some interesting commentary on the EAA forum from a Rohr employee who ordered the materials for the aircraft but it was so secret he never actually saw the aircraft (until now), just the wingtip.

This book will contain some gems of information by people who have actually designed, built and tested in GA class delta design.

Still keen for more book buyers who would like to learn from their experiences! Thanks to those who have already responded

13. Dec 1, 2018 #13

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of it before. How about a brief overview of the project?

14. Dec 1, 2018 #14

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

15. Dec 2, 2018 #15

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

The config for the Rohr is mentioned in one of Orion's stickies in the Articles section of the Design section here. He shared a cubicle with Walt Mooney who figures prominently in the 175's history.

16. Dec 2, 2018 #16

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

[h=1]THE ROHR TWO-l75 (l974)[/h][h=1]
    by F. Marc de Piolenc. Extracted from an article that appeared in its original form in the TWITT Newsletter. TWITT (The Wing Is The Thing) is an organization devoted entirely to all-wing and tailless airplanes. For further information contact: TWITT
    P.O. Box 20430
    El Cajon, California 92021
    USA
    Email: TWITT@home.com

In 1974, Rohr Chairman Burt Raynes resolved to move Rohr into the light airplane market. Challenging the marketing base of the Wichita Giants would be an extraordinary step in itself. In order to succeed, Rohr had to offer a product so undeniably superior to its competition that prospective buyers and dealers could not resist it. Raynes summoned Walt Mooney and told him to come up with a quantum leap in light aircraft technology. It must have better performance, greater safety, accessibility and comfort, greater economy and lower production cost than any competitor. It must also, in Mr. Raynes' own words, "drive Cessna nuts." Walt was given an adequate budget and promised the services of any Rohr employee he needed. Within budget and on time, Mooney et al. built three airframes (two flying prototypes and a static test article) and two scale models (1/10 and 1/2) for water landing/takeoff feasibility tests (!). By the time the project ended (for reasons having nothing to do with the merits of the airplane), one prototype had accumulated 23 hours in the air.Walt took full advantage of Burt Raynes' license to grab the best people Rohr had to offer. The key players on the project team were:
    Walt Mooney, Designer and Project Manager
    Bill Chana, Engineer and Project Administrator
    Mike Voydisch, Propeller and Duct Design
    Don Westergren, Test Pilot
    Bob Fronius, Shop Foreman[/h][h=1]
    [​IMG]
    At first glance, the Rohr Two-175 looks like an exercise in novelty for its own sake. It is a low wing Delta of stressed skin, fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP) construction, propelled by a buried pusher engine driving a shrouded propeller. Its nosewheel fairing doubles as a "rhino rudder." Both the wing and the vertical tail fold for transport and storage...
    [/h]