• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Interest in a modern incarnation of the Farman F.455 Moustique?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I have been kicking around ideas for a light, two-seat homebuilt that would fit within the European microlight rules (basically, stall speed below 65 kph/35 knots and gross weight under 450 kg/992 lbs). I'd use a 60-80 hp VW engine, a wood prop and simple construction for first-time builders.

I have a weakness for old-time aircraft like those in the Flying and Glider Manuals and the various European light aircraft competitions of the 1920s and 1930s. One idea I am playing with is a modern incarnation of the Farman F.455 Moustique III (aka Super Moustique). The one and only original F-AOYL used to hang in the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace at Le Bourget. A quick Google image search will turn up other views.

Farman F455 Moustique III.jpg

The Moustique III is a mid-wing, wire-braced, side-by-side, open cockpit monoplane of wood and fabric construction something like an overgrown TEAM MiniMax. It was the only two-seat example in a line of early single-seat ultralilghts and low-powered racers that went back to the years right after WWI.

Personally, I think it would be great fun in a Walter Mitty sort of way--flying helmet, goggles and scarf, the works. But I am curious, would this appeal to others looking for a simple project?

Cheers,

Matthew

Last edited:
Back