• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Interest in a magazine or site focused on affordable flying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Today, I can consider doing and owning things that I could only dream of when I first started flying as a young teacher more than 20 years ago. I am certainly not rich, but spending a lot of time in developing countries helps remind me how fortunate my family and I really are.

Still, the "stuff" that catches my eye has character, and often history, not necessarily great value. I'd rather have an old stepside pickup or a Citrõen 2CV in the garage than a new Corvette or a fancy Mercedes. If I had money to burn then I'd want an old Mini and maybe a Corvair to keep the 2CV company. ;-)

The pair of Icon A5s (almost $200,000 each) on the cover of the latest issue of Sport Aviation reminded me that what really interests me in aviation is affordable flying. Whether factory-built, homebuilt, antique, microlight or ultralight, the planes that catch my eye spark the imagination in part because they are accessible to more people, not just a very select few.

Defining "affordable" is tough. One definition might index the against the price of a modest new car. Google tells me that the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla are the most popular cars in the world. In the USA, the real world price for one of those cars brand new including delivery and typical options is anything from $18,000-$30,000. So let's say a used factory-built GA airplane, a ready-to-fly ultralight, or a homebuilt from a kit or plans including engine, prop and basic instruments for under $25,000 (preferably less!) is "affordable" in aviation terms.

Would folks be interested in a paper magazine, an e-zine like EAA's "Experimenter," or a web site devoted to a mix of aircraft types but united around the theme of affordable flying?

Back