• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Intake Gaskets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am in the process of replacing the rear main seal on my Cygnet. This required dismounting the engine and pulling the accessory case off. To remove the CHT sensors on my heads I had to remove the manifold.

The Thick fiber/paper ~3/32" was baked thin and brittle. Almost no torque on the manifold bolts.

I have ordered and will try some steel crush gaskets next.

I read some add some red rtv to these . What is the practice a thin coat on the side facing the head or both?

The seal began to make a mess on this flight with a simulated lost engine, good practice...

'Cleaned it up" and flew one circuit staying close ~6minutes and confirmed oil was migrating out on the back of the flywheel. I grounded the plane and began to remove the engine and order parts and assemble the specialty tools. 250lb torque wrench, 36mm 12 point socket, Flywheel removal tool.

For the intake what is the practice a thin coat of red High Temp RTV on the side facing the head, both, None?

Side note:
Mofoco sold me a rear seal but sold the last flywheel clamp mere hours before my arrival. Fred Keip of Sonerai fame came to the rescue. Spent a enjoyable hour in his shop and learned a hat trick how to tension wires in a wing without expensive turnbuckles. A very cool hat trick! He is building a single seat preceptor pup with spars and structures from the 2 place. Kinda like Pops SSSC only with a 4130 fuselage.

As much as I like Geodetic wings I think a few pounds could be saved grafting Preceptor wings on a 202 fuselage built like a Super Koala. 123square feet of wing, 1834VW under 425lbs empty would be the goal

Regards

Matt

Back