Instruments - Falcon vs. Skysports?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Dana, Jun 21, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I need to replace the airspeed indicator in my plane. It doesn't need to be TSO'd, and being naturally thrifty (some would say cheap) I'm looking at two of the lower cost indicators that Aircraft Spruce sells, namely the Falcon and Skysports. The price is similar, the Skysports being a few dollars more. With a 90mph Vne, I don't need more than a 100 mph or 80 knot range. I've heard some complaints about the Falcon instruments, but the Falcon altimeter I installed last year is working perfectly. Then I just have to decide whether to get one calibrated in knots or mph.

Thoughts?

Jon Ferguson likes this.
  2. Jun 21, 2016 #2

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

Funny I was just considering this the other day. Looking forward to the responses. The little plane I'm building needs just the most basic of instruments and only tops out at 100 mph.

3. Jun 21, 2016 #3

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

The other question I had was would a brand new bottom of the line instrument be preferable to a used instrument lifted out of a Cessna or Piper?

4. Jun 21, 2016 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The nice thing about some of the new instruments is that they can sometimes be much lighter. That can add up with multiple instruments and weight is the enemy.

Jon Ferguson likes this.
  5. Jun 21, 2016 #5

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

I thought the FAA was the enemy.:gig:

And I have been eyeing the Falcon instruments myself, so am also interested in any comments.

Jon Ferguson and bmcj like this.
  6. Jun 21, 2016 #6

BJC

BJC

BJC

I have heard complaints about the Falcon, but for the price difference verses a UMA or Sigma Tek, I think that I would be willing to give it a try.

Have you tried repairing the one that you have?

BJC

7. Jun 21, 2016 #7

Dana

Dana

Dana

The one I have works, it's just very inaccurate (confirmed with a manometer). I opened the case and there's a surprising amount of gearing and linkages for an instrument that's very simple in principle, and no obvious way to correct the errors.

The other trouble with used instruments is that they're always much higher range, I don't want a gauge that goes to 160 knots or more in a plane that cruises at 55. And weight is always an issue in an underpowered plane. I'm going to remove the turn and bank, too. If it worked I'd keep it (the one in my T-Craft saved my ass once), but although the instrument itself works on the bench, I think the venturi just isn't making enough vacuum at my low cruise speed.

Dana

8. Jun 21, 2016 #8

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Dana I feel your pain. I was flying not long ago and looked down to see my altimeter just spinning. It went to around 6000' and stopped. I was flying at 900'. It spun from 900' to 6000' in less then 10 seconds. But the nice thing about these little airplanes, you really don't need any instruments to fly them. But if you need to replace a couple of these they can become costly. It's almost cheaper to buy a GRT unit that has everything built in. I did this once on an airplane that needed new gauges. I just went ahead and purchased a GRT unit and it had everything I wanted and more. I lucked out and even found a used one with all sensors for half the cost of new.

I will ask around and see if any friends has an ASI laying around they don't use. I have asked about an altimeter and no luck. But if I recall someone said they had an ASI. But the man who told me this or I believe did, just left on vacation for two weeks. He said he would not be within cell phone range. In other words, don't bother him..lol

Tony

9. Jun 21, 2016 #9

Dana

Dana

Dana

An electronic gauge would just look wrong in a biplane...

Dana

BJC likes this.
  10. Jun 21, 2016 #10

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

...or an open cockpit midwing.

11. Jun 22, 2016 #11

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

My Cleanex has a really small panel. I love the look of steam gauges and yet the functionality and reliability of electronic gauges appeals to me. I did a compromise of sorts using the MGL singles ...

Myunn & I crusing around.jpg

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    124.5 hours / Status - Flying

Jon Ferguson likes this.
  12. Jun 22, 2016 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I like the steam gauges too. I would be happy to have round flight gauges plus a glass panel navigation system completed with weather, traffic, TFR's and airspace boundaries.

13. Jun 22, 2016 #13

Dana

Dana

Dana

Avare on my phone is all the "glass" I need to supplement my steam gauges...

[​IMG]

Dana

Attached Files:

Topaz, Jon Ferguson and pshadwick like this.
  14. Aug 26, 2016 #14

Dana

Dana

Dana

When I asked an Aircraft Spruce rep why the photos of the Falcon and Skysports gauges were identical, he told me that they are in fact the same; Falcon is just a reseller for Skysports. Anyway, I ordered the 100mph gauge as the 80 knot gauge only has tick marks every 5 knots whereas the 100mph has 1mph ticks... and the 80kt is out of stock anyway.

Since ACS now owns Skysports I suspect they will stop carrying the Falcon name.

Dana

15. Aug 26, 2016 #15

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

That's what I thought. I swear I had read that elsewhere, but couldn't find anything definitive when I went back and looked. I didn't want to say anything, lest I wind up spreading misinformation. Thanks for confirming. Let us know how you like it!

16. Aug 26, 2016 #16

Gsport

Gsport

Gsport

Not sure when ACS bought Skysports, but their supply chain has been horrible - been waiting for mine on backorder for over a year; confirmed last month that my order is still active.

I would disagree that Falcon and Skysports are identical, they substituted a Falcon ASI and Alt, but they were different from the Skysports pictured/ordered which were more appropriate so I returned them.

17. Sep 12, 2016 #17

Dana

Dana

Dana

Seems to be working fine, much more accurate than my old one based on a quick GPS comparison (averaging upwind and downwind, of course).

Dana