Inspiration For Builders

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Daleandee, Feb 28, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 28, 2019 #1

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Seems building airplanes really is child's play:

Dale
    N319WF

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    Pops, Topaz and Aerowerx like this.
  2. Mar 2, 2019 #2

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Once you get it built you can share the joys of flight. This is one of my favorite videos:

Dale
    N319WF

wsimpso1 likes this.
  3. Mar 2, 2019 #3

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

One of those yellow J3's flew over my house one random day. I offhandedly remembered my dad saying something about the guy taking people up. I jumped in my car and raced to the local EAA chapter, not entirely remembering where it was because my dad had only taken me to visit once before to show a plane in the hanger. Sure enough, as I arrived, he landed right there motor running, and someone was climbing out of his plane, so I ran right out to the plane and ask if he'd give me a ride. Didn't know the guy A from Adam. He said it was the last ride of the day but he took me up anyway. All I remember was yeah, you really could look straight down out that right door. I think it was boring otherwise. Oddly, it made no impression on me whatsoever and I forgot all of the ride. Unless you fly over your own house, there's nothing worth remembering from the air. Looking back, I'm like wow, I sure had a lot of chutzpah.... I can't believe I did that. The marching out on to the field bit - not the flight bit. By that time there was nothing particularly special about flying in an airplane to me. I think I was actually kind of disappointed; thinking about it in retrospet, he probably just flew a pattern.

Youtube has probably been way more of an inspiration for me... or riding in those commerical jet flights with window seats at night, where you can see the curvature of the earth from above the cloud layer and the massive amount of light polution coming from the grid patterns of streetlights from below, and the little tiny cars moving about like ants. That and I always get a seat right in front of the wing so I can see and hear that big GE jet engine intake low pressure compressor ...

Toy airplanes were more fun, give a kid one of those, you could imagine with one of those. Actually flying was kind of... boring. You're just a passenger along for the ride and the pilot is being like driving Miss Daisy. Of all my air plane trips and rides, I have yet to experience one aerobatic maneuver. Geez, at least a Hammerhead. More than likely, my first I'll have to do myself...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. Mar 2, 2019 #4

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

When stuck with babysitting my 4 year old nephew I decided to take him for his first plane ride. He was very impressed!
    When returning him to his father he excitedly burst forth with "Daddy, did you know uncle Jerry has one of those over and out things in his airplane."

5. Mar 3, 2019 #5

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Well ... everyone knew what he meant! I've never taken a child quite that young (unless it was on a commercial flight) but I have taken a couple of my grandsons when they were 7-8 years old. I have a granddaughter that is now 4 years old. She loves her some "Papa" but I'm not certain that she's quite ready just yet.

Here is a video from nearly five years ago when I took a grandson with me to a nearby "Wings & Wheels" event. I asked him afterwards if it frightened him at all and he said, "nope ... not at all." He did not realize he had videoed himself during the flight. Looking at the video seems to show otherwise. But he was quite good in the airplane and the flight was only about 15 minutes. He has flown with me since then and loves to fly:

[video=youtube;ho2uh1cZwmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho2uh1cZwmY[/video]

Dale
    N319WF

delta likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2019 #6

henryk

henryk

henryk

7. Mar 20, 2019 #7

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

WF
    Intriguing to say the least! Not sure I'd want to use it around all of those stalagmite & stalactite formations ... but I'm certain they've already got that covered! Be a good ride on a windy day outside though! :eek:

Dale
    N319WF

8. Mar 20, 2019 #8

henryk

henryk

henryk

-yes,it will be possible,when involve oscillating wing propulsion=>1000 N thrust
    force/ 1 kW !

http://www.vortexosc.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=267

=after 1 min...

or better=drag anihilation thanks weavy flow=

http://www.vortexosc.com/images/pdf/Platzer_Sorokodum.pdf

moore=

vortexosc.com