*^#%@ 'ing Wood Bees !!!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Does anyone else that's building a wooden aircraft have nightmares of a wood bee destroying their project or is it just me ?

The d*mn bees are everywhere for the past few years.
I killed 12 of them over the weekend trying to munch on my new carport that I built onto my garage last year.
I even had one get into my shop and I had to chase him for 20 minutes before he went down in flames with the swat of my ball cap......

Now I'm waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat imaging opening my shop door to find that one of the little *^%#@s got in and went all Hannibal Lector on my fuselage & wood supply......

Just me ???

Kevin

TFF

I can see you chasing them during the preflight walk around. Jumping all over, flailing. “What’s they guy doing I over there?” “Wood plane owner”. “Ah yes”.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
If my plane was complete I wouldn't be as concerned.....but it is all just bare wood at this point.
I'm afraid that it may be a tasty dessert for one of them right now.
Funny but not funny......
They are doing serious damage to everyone's property for the past few years.

Kevin

Yellowhammer

Does anyone else that's building a wooden aircraft have nightmares of a wood bee destroying their project or is it just me ?

The d*mn bees are everywhere for the past few years.
I killed 12 of them over the weekend trying to munch on my new carport that I built onto my garage last year.
I even had one get into my shop and I had to chase him for 20 minutes before he went down in flames with the swat of my ball cap......

Now I'm waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat imaging opening my shop door to find that one of the little *^%#@s got in and went all Hannibal Lector on my fuselage & wood supply......

Just me ???

Kevin

You are not alone!!!!!

Yellowhammer

If my plane was complete I wouldn't be as concerned.....but it is all just bare wood at this point.
I'm afraid that it may be a tasty dessert for one of them right now.
Funny but not funny......
They are doing serious damage to everyone's property for the past few years.

Kevin

Yea, they ripping my stacked lumber. Little Bas#@rds.

Get one of the insect traps they crawl or fly into but can't come out of then squash them like a F'ing roach!

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Do a search for DIY Carpenter Bee traps, and you'll find some easy to make traps. I did the 4x4 version similar to what this guy shows-

This is the first year I've used them, and they work surprisingly well. In previous years, I've had to go out nearly every day with poison and corks to fill the holes, but this year there have only been a few new holes, and a few jars full of bees. Since it takes a lot of effort for them to bore those holes, they'll almost always use an existing hole if they can find one.

Rusty

Turd Ferguson

I've noticed they are attracted to bare wood first. If the wood has any covering over it, even a coat of paint, they are less likely to bore in it.

Otherwise, a boat paddle makes a good bee swatter for airborne attacks.

Pops

Log Member
I remember my Grandfather setting in the front porch swing in the hot summer evening with a wooden paddle about 2' longx 4" wide and swatting a wood bore bee as it flew by.

TFF

My dad’s wife blew bug spay in her brother’s eyes last month trying to chase one around the patio. I guess it’s about where you are storing your parts and if you can varnish some of them to take them off the menu. If you have outside storage or regular barn, it could be a b problem. Finished walls and roof and I doubly the want to get in there.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're real bad around here the past few years. Regarding the youtube video, why does everybody think they need a 5 minute video to show something that could be explained in 30 seconds with a still image or two?

I remember shooting the bees with a BB gun at my friend's house when I was a kid, until his parents complained about all the BB dents in the wall...:eek:

Riggerrob

Few deHavilland Mosquitos survived after tropical white ants (termites) discovered how tasty the glue was.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I've noticed they are attracted to bare wood first. If the wood has any covering over it, even a coat of paint, they are less likely to bore in it.
That may be true, but I know a coat of deck/fence stain doesn't seem to slow them down. And they don't mind pressure treated wood, either. They are tearing up my fence and the trusses of my patio cover. The ones here seem to prefer going in from the underside of the wood, so I might try painting the lower surfaces in hopes they'll go somewhere else.
A woodpecker tore a huge hole in a treated 2x4 fence rail when he heard the grubs in there. He got 'em, but I can't say I was happy.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
I'm glad my lumber is in my climate controlled shop away from those little pains! I think the fiberglass and carbon will slow them down once it's finished.

C Michael Hoover

As a wood aircraft owner, I share your pain. However, one should look at the bright side: Annuals by Orkin are inexpensive.