• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Information request about Barnstormers / seller

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Hello all,

Greetings from Brussels, Belgium.

Needing a midtime O-200a or C90-12F for my French experimental. A suitable engine was found on Barnstormers, information (logs and a video of a engine start) were received along with the data of the seller.

Yet now what?

Is there a procedure to verify the seller actually has the engine? And that it is in the stated condition? Is there a possibility that an inspection is carried out on that engine?
Barnstormers replied quicky to my request for information stating that the seller is a new advertiser on Barnstormers since 2022-03-08 and that they do not have any information about him yet.

Finally: the engine was retrieved from a damaged C150 of which I indeed found an accident report: the aircraft C150 landed apparently in a cornfield in 2019 while practicing landings. A bit strange is that the aircraft flew less that 10 hours from 2009-2019.

I am sorry if the above is not in the right section. If not I kindly ask the moderator to move it to the right place. I also do not know I am allowed to disclose here the data of the add / seller etc.

The engine is needed and normally I would collect it in person. There is however the question of that pond between Europe and the US... called the Atlantic Ocean.

Blue skies

Stolch

Back when I was building my Zenith I tried to buy a Rotax 912 engine from a seller in Canada that advertised “refurbished” engines heavily on Barnstormers. Paid for the engine, thankfully with my credit card, but never received it as it was seized by US customs and the seller charged with attempted import duties fraud. I was questioned by Customs as well to determine if I was a willing participant in the fraud. Customs eventually determined I was not an international airplane engine smuggler and my credit card company refunded my money so it ended well but it took months to resolve. The seller avoided me pretty much the entire time once the engine was detained. After the Customs agent advised me that engine would never come into the US I decided not to look for any more “good deals“ and bought a new Rotax engine through Zenith. The peace of mind that new engine gives me each time I fly is worth more than the higher cost of taking a chance on a used one.
Just my one and last ever experience with Barnstormers. No doubt others have had more pleasant ones.

Last edited:

TFF

All engines are crapshoots. Unless you get it from the factory, it’s all relative. I know someone who has an overhauled engine from Lycoming of Europe. It’s a piece of junk in my opinion. While they license the use of the Lycoming name and are official, the work done is just regular engine shop overhaul. It’s not the same as an engine overhaul from Pennsylvania.

What does a mid time engine really mean? The logbook is an accounting of time, but unless you are the one who put the time on, it’s just a number. It’s a betting number. The way I look at it is you put it on the plane, each hour is an hour you didn’t have to take it apart. It’s a little drastic to think of it like that, but you only know once you are flying it. I have installed a bunch of factory overhauled engines and three low time engines from damaged aircraft. One was a mess from storage and two were ok. I also know an old timer with a pile of engines. He has been sitting on them for 30 years. He will go with the log numbers when selling, but I have seen him change a crank in a A65 in one day and test fly. He is willing to dig in and fix. So the numbers have a magical value and have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Barnstormers isn’t Ebay. It’s usually a one time add of someone getting rid of something. If someone has multiple ads, it’s usually liquidation not for a living. A company is going to be based on the reputation.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
In my case the 6500US$ O200-seller and fresh-time -advertiser on Barnstormers vanished when confronted with some research. Guess being bitten before helped : when a deal, just a bit better than good, pops up I get a bit weary.

"
To: "Tom De Moor" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, 30 April, 2022 12:17:30
Subject: Re:Tom [barnstormers.com] Re: Continental O-200-A

Hi Tom, Complete Continental O-200 with accessories ( baffling, Starter, Generator, Carburetor, Slick Mags). 3570.02hrs TTE, 880.63hrs SMOH. Last annual inspection: June 12 2019. All parts were standard at time of overhaul. Logs are available Removed from C150 after damage to the airframe. The engine is in good working condition and safe to fly See pictures and log and let me know.

Thanks
"

@ Yellowhammer: Glad it worked out for you and may you have a good deal/engine.

99% of the people are honest, yet there always needs to be a low-life who thinks he is smart, will never be caught and screws things up. Most of the time their actions yield no real advantage to them , even on the contrary.

Blue skies.

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Use truck freight, you can quotes on line. I have sent several engines this way. Need to skid and cover for protection. Jack
v,

Thank you sir for the tip. It was my first engine purchase and I did my due diligence before any money traded hands. In fact, the seller and I have become friends and talk often.

I will definitely heed your advice the next time. UPS Headquarters has been absolutely stellar. I will have to explain in a separate post in the next day or two because this information and my experience during tis delivery process is ripe for us HBA folk to learn about and discuss.

Thanks again for the tip!

Yellowhammer

Jim Chuk

I didn't read all the posts here, but I'll tell a story about when I had a 912 shipped from Wa. state to Mn. Fedex truck freight said $525. Got a trucking outfit through a broker, and it would have been $210, but the guy had them come to his place instead of dropping it off on their dock. It ended up being about $275 total. I had it shipped to my step-son's job site where they have a forklift, and who do you think had it on their truck when it arrived..... Fedex.... Go figure. This was 3 or 4 yrs ago. JImChuk