Information and Products for Corvair Power - Azalea Aviation

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill Clapp

To all,

For those interested, Azalea Aviation LLC is providing information and products for corvair enthusiasts. Check out our website at azaleaaviation.com

We will respond to direct questions when able.

Thank you.

Bill Clapp

rv6ejguy

Supporting Member
To all,

For those interested, Azalea Aviation LLC is providing information and products for corvair enthusiasts. Check out our website at azaleaaviation.com

We will respond to direct questions when able.

Thank you.

Bill Clapp

Looks like some nice stuff Bill. Are you associated with WW at all? I see in another post you are the high time Corvair guy.

Bill Clapp

Thank you for looking. Answer to your question. No, we are our own. We have our own direction and purpose and are open to new ideas. BC

Bill Clapp

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you have to have a goal or plan in order to measure achievement and progress. The Saberwing is just the first step in the development of a couple different designs I have. However this step is big for us. We are please with our progress but it has been tough as well. we have spent a lot of time in R&D and learning new processes. Lately learning vacuum infusion of epoxy...been educational and great to see some beautiful parts coming out of our molds...thrown some out along the way as well. Our engine side of the business is also just a stepping stone to further designs and development. More to come on that later. We are just at the beginning of our aircraft business although we have been helping people with corvair conversions for many years now. Pray that we will do things safely and humbly as we move forward....

William Wynne

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ross,[/FONT]

The high time Corvair pilot is a Pietenpol builder named Tom Brown from WI, he can be seen in a number of photos on my website. He has 1,600 hours on his plane.

Mr. Clapp failed to mention that he was an employee of mine. In 2006 the EAA put his KR on the cover, and in the story he clearly states he worked for me at the time. I highly suggest that anyone considering dealing with him Google his name, and the company name "Aeromax LLC"

Ross, get a look at how casual Mr. Clapp is in saying that the engine doesn't need a Harmonic balancer, and how he also thinks that the dynamo on the back of the engine has damping characteristics. His higher education is Getting an A&P license from "Moody Bible Institute", not a real [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]strong[/FONT] school on Physics, Dynamics, nor metallurgy.

His "Saberwing" plane was the "AeroMax LLC Breezer" Aeromax distributed countless brochures on it. Mr. Clapp's partner advertised on Barnstormers looking for "investors." Go ahead and ask if any structural analysis or flutter work was done. You probably will not find the answer impressive.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -ww.[/FONT]

FritzW

Wayne,

What's wrong with Moody's A&P program? From everything I've read it's a highly regarded program.

Fritz

dcstrng

Hmmm… this is beginning to get old…

Being a documentable aviation dimwit, I’m primarily interested in the care and feeding of aviation Corvairs, but not so much the secret lives of Corvair “personalities…” A little straying is understandable as personal enthusiasms are evidenced, but speaking just on behalf of my own parochialisms, I benefit more from a thorough discussion of the mechanics (and theory, to the extent I understand it…) as these threads seemed intended at first…

Thanks…

rv6ejguy

Supporting Member
Ross,

The high time Corvair pilot is a Pietenpol builder named Tom Brown from WI, he can be seen in a number of photos on my website. He has 1,600 hours on his plane.

Mr. Clapp failed to mention that he was an employee of mine. In 2006 the EAA put his KR on the cover, and in the story he clearly states he worked for me at the time. I highly suggest that anyone considering dealing with him Google his name, and the company name "Aeromax LLC"

Ross, get a look at how casual Mr. Clapp is in saying that the engine doesn't need a Harmonic balancer, and how he also thinks that the dynamo on the back of the engine has damping characteristics. His higher education is Getting an A&P license from "Moody Bible Institute", not a real strong school on Physics, Dynamics, nor metallurgy.

His "Saberwing" plane was the "AeroMax LLC Breezer" Aeromax distributed countless brochures on it. Mr. Clapp's partner advertised on Barnstormers looking for "investors." Go ahead and ask if any structural analysis or flutter work was done. You probably will not find the answer impressive.

-ww.

William, since you resist doing a proper TV study, you don't know either if the balancer is useful or not in the rpm ranges you are running.

Really, attacking another learning institution is pretty petty with little bearing on what someone knows years later after lots of hands on experience is added to that original education.

Don't devolve this thread into a meaningless tit for tat battle.

I'm happy to have an alternate view on the aero Corvair world and I find Bill's posts interesting, modest and evenly weighted.

Bill is putting his butt on the line doing his own flight and flutter testing. That's putting your money where your mouth is in my books. What about you?

You could take some lessons from Jeron and Vassilli on the Suzuki aero forums. Both have businesses selling engines and components for conversions. They might not agree on every detail and are competitors but they coexist on an amicable and respectful level.

Last edited:

Bill Clapp

I don't like to waste my time responding to comments from the peanut gallery but I will say that my phone/personal email is open to all. This forum is designed to advance knowledge among the homebuilt community, not try and trash perceived competition. I have never claimed to be an engineer ...Nor an authority...just dumb bloke that loves to build and fly. (no Holiday Inn Express) To me the proof is in the "doing" - for myself and others. Sure, I had to close down AeroMax LLC...due to partnership issues. Not a secret. I opened Azalea Aviaion LLC because my dream is still alive. The Saberwing is a reeingineered version of my original "Falcon" design. The "Breeze" will return under a new name later this year. We are in the process of completing it now - first flight scheduled after Oshkosh. After that is twin engined Amphibious design... BTW -No flutter past 200 mph....more testing to come...

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Note: This seems like the perfect opportunity to remind the membership of two specific items in the HBA Rules of Conduct:

9. Customer Experiences - There are many vendors we as homebuilders rely on to do what we do. Some vendors provide a great product and some don't. This website is a natural place to discuss these matters but, we must do so in a responsible way. The internet is an amazingly powerful means of spreading information about a company - both good information and bad information. An unfounded rumor can seriously impact the business of a hard-working individual and their employees. To this end I'm asking all members to be cautious about the wording of their posts when describing the actions of a vendor who has wronged you. State the facts, but do so in a rational, coherent, and non-inflammatory way, limited to your own personal experiences. Unfounded rumor, character defamation, and other such posts will not be tolerated.

10. Allegations of Fraud - The use of terms such as thief, criminal, shuckster, etc is considered by me to be allegations of criminal activity and won't be allowed unless they have been proven in a court. Most members who use these terms have good intentions and only do so to warn others of a poor product or service. However, much of what happens in the marketplace is really just a matter of poor business practice and should be stated as such. Accusations more severe than that should be made in front of a judge and not on this website.

pictsidhe

If only I had a penny for every time someone ignored my advice because I wasn't 'qualified' to make it: I'd have over a dollar! the people I'd advised would have many thousands more...

don january

Supporting Member
heard a soung today and I asked Vickie is that my song playing ? No it was a plane flying over at about 2500 AGL she said ! sure sounded like my song ah playen. got to thinking about my corvair and figured it was fine , had WW on my side.Then Bill came across mind and thought about the plane all over again, go figure!! all comes to a question mark? speaking of Mark. well we dont want to go there:) keep them flying boy's. Don

Bill Clapp

Back to the original intent of this thread. I started this to talk about some of the products that are currently available through our website azaleaaviation.com and also to discuss some of our newer products andd possible future items

One of the items we have been testing is our ball bearing distributor. Over the years we have seen instances where worn bushings can cause a "harmonic" in the distributor shaft and it appears as slightly rough running ignition around a particular rpm. It was not a common occurrence by any means and I still use dual bushing distributors but for last several months both of our planes and cars have been using our ball bearing distributors in a testing mode. There is a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the shaft when you turn it by hand and to date has resulted in smooth ignition function. The two aircraft are using points and electronic ignition setups and the cars are running on points. I really noticed the smoother setup on the cars more than I did in the planes. More to come on those later...

One item we are looking for is a constant speed prop for testing on our engines. We have a couple thoughts and possibilities we are looking into with Sensenich but that may be a ways off. Why? Our plane will perform really well at 9500-12,500 feet and we are pursuing turbo normalizing at this time. We would like to see @ 80 -100 hp available at higher altitudes. One way is to fly with an 0320 - but turboing is something I've done before and has some advantages. Back then I had a constant speed prop but they were pulled off the market (blade separation). I'm looking for something newer in design to absorb 140 hp at speeds of 180. Any ideas or products I've not seen? I can build with any flange design on my engines...

Well - enough for now. Early to bed... Early to rise.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back to the original intent of this thread. I started this to talk about some of the products that are currently available through our website azaleaaviation.com and also to discuss some of our newer products andd possible future items....

Moderator Note: Bill, given that intent, I'm going to move this thread over to Supplier/Manufacturer announcements. Nothing at all punitive about that - I think it's just a better fit, given your stated purpose. I'll leave a one-week expiring redirect in the original location, so that anyone looking for the thread in its original location can find it.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure thing. Thanks Topaz. Still trying to figure out all the rooms in this grand motel ��

I appreciate your understanding. If you ever have any questions, just PM any of the moderators. We're happy to help, and some of the distinctions can get a little fuzzy.

flyvulcan

One item we are looking for is a constant speed prop for testing on our engines. We have a couple thoughts and possibilities we are looking into with Sensenich but that may be a ways off. Why? Our plane will perform really well at 9500-12,500 feet and we are pursuing turbo normalizing at this time. We would like to see @ 80 -100 hp available at higher altitudes. One way is to fly with an 0320 - but turboing is something I've done before and has some advantages. Back then I had a constant speed prop but they were pulled off the market (blade separation). I'm looking for something newer in design to absorb 140 hp at speeds of 180. Any ideas or products I've not seen? I can build with any flange design on my engines...

Bill,

The Airmaster prop system from New Zealand and the Woodcomp prop system from the Czech Republic might be worth looking at. The Airmaster system has good reports from what I've heard.

Cheers,

Dave

Bill Clapp

Thanks. I've looked into the Airmaster but not the Czech one yet. I've toyed with the idea of the new style blades from Sensenich on a custom hub but apparently their blades weren't designed for the speeds I'm shooting for. Similar to warp drive I think they kind of die out above 150