Info on LMA Super Cub Replica & LMA Taylorcraft Replica kits(?)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cohocarl

Hoping to start building a kit plane in the next year or so and trying to research everything that's out there.
I see Wicks has a couple kits from LMA (Light Miniature Aircraft) for a Super Cub Replica and a Taylorcraft Replica. (LM-TC-W)
I'm finding a few pics of a finished Taylorcraft kit, but the only info I can find on the Super Cub kit is the grainy pic on Wick's website.

It looks like LMA closed it's doors a while ago, but does anyone have more info on these kits?

Thanks.

TFF

Wick’s sells materials kits. They are not prefabricated kits. Just raw materials. You have to make everything. They don’t come with plans either. They are just time savers to get all the big stuff at once.

cohocarl

Thanks for the reply & info. Guess I'll scratch those off my list...;)

Victor Bravo

As Ronald Reagan used to say, "Well..."

Do you know what kind of flying you want to do with whatever you build? Just like buying a car, you should probably have some idea of what you're wanting to accomplish - Station wagon for a family of 6, hotrod muscle car for burning rubber on a mid-life ego trip, off-road 4x4 for boondocking and camping and fishing, a little low-buck econo-box for the highest miles per gallon? There are airplane equivalents for any of those missions.

If you can give us an idea about what you want the end result to be, plus a little more info on what aviation experience you do or don't have, several of us can offer reasonably well-informed suggestions.

pwood66889

Visited Light Miniature Aircraft early 1990's; they no longer around. Very innovative "Back in the Day." Could be resurrected if you find an unfinished. They are indeed an attractive build.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I am a fan of any design that has plywood wring ribs. Its a shame that plans are not available.

Victor Bravo

Volksplane, Avid Flyer (et ses derives), and several others use plywood ribs I believe. You lose some amount of structural efficiency (at the same strength/load the ribs weigh some amount more than "stick" ribs), but you do gain some amount of simplicity and save a large number of hours of construction time.

I'm sure there is some really interesting compromise that has been tested and engineered years ago, where you combine the plywood shape rib (as the shear web) with sticks for the upper and lower structural caps. I wonder how much the difference is in weight between a hybrid ply/stick rib and a full truss stick rib... anyone here know of an approximate rule of thumb for that?

cohocarl

Thanks for the replies.:)
The project would need to be LSA specs. Leaning towards either a 701 or 750 Zenith, but just want to make sure I haven't overlooked what else is out there. Haven't ruled out a Kitfox SS, Highlander, or one of the Mini-Max aircraft (Supermax, Himax, or maybe his Epic Sport when available). Rans has some nice kits also.
Went down to the LSA Expo in Mt. Vernon Illinois last fall (which was incredible and highly recommend) and got an eyeball on a few models I had not seen in person.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I'm sure there is some really interesting compromise that has been tested and engineered years ago, where you combine the plywood shape rib (as the shear web) with sticks for the upper and lower structural caps. I wonder how much the difference is in weight between a hybrid ply/stick rib and a full truss stick rib... anyone here know of an approximate rule of thumb for that?
The U.S. Forest Products Laboratory did a comprehensive study on multiple types of wood rib construction, which was published as a NACA report (TR 345). They used "efficiency," just as you called it, as a figure of merit: a strength to weight ratio. Not surprisingly, the hybrid rib you describe came out right in between the basic plywood rib and a stick rib. Details matter, so I don't think there's a precise formulation, but for rule of thumb, "it's in between." For our typical scale, something like a 1/16" ply web and 1/4" square (or even triangle stock) for the perimeter would be in the ballpark.

flywheel1935

Another kit to consider is the KFA range of 'kitfox style' aircraft from South Africa, there just being imported into the UK, and may well be my next project ?
and they're cheap too !!! (low labour costs)