Quantcast

Inexpensive solo cross-country machines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
At least 6 hours from full to empty. At one time flying 10 to 12 hrs a day seem normal. Most I ever flew in one week was 76 hrs. I was tired. My JMR doesn't have enough range. Just two 8.3 gal wing tanks. Maybe in the future I'll install another 8 gal tank in the fuselage. Cont- 85 engine.

Chip W. Erwin

What is considered low-cost? I offer the Merlin single-seat all metal E-AB aircraft which can be finished in 2 weeks for under $40k with glass panel and modern 4-stroke engine. Cruise is 120 mph. I fly from Florida to Ohio and Oshkosh. Kits in stock. www.aeromarine-lsa.com Bonus: Big guys and luggage fit in. And 4 hours endurance.

Attachments

Hephaestus

Note the Mooney Mite discussions got bumped up today. Pretty much defines the Mite's purpose.

If you can fit into one :)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
What is considered low-cost? I offer the Merlin single-seat all metal E-AB aircraft which can be finished in 2 weeks for under $40k with glass panel and modern 4-stroke engine. Cruise is 120 mph. I fly from Florida to Ohio and Oshkosh. Kits in stock. www.aeromarine-lsa.com Bonus: Big guys and luggage fit in. And 4 hours endurance.
That's really impressive in terms of the cost for a brand new airplane.

saini flyer

Chip, welcome to HBA. Merlin is a great offering for UL. Do you also plan on bringing the two seater from tech pro aviation to the US?

Yellowhammer

Pulsar has the same issue with size as the Sonerai.
If you are a full sized by todays standards you won't fit. I tried one and @ 6' and 235 it doesn't work. 32" inseam and 36-38" waist. Couldn't get my knees under the panel and once I did, one cheek was on the arm rest.
I'm in the Wittman camp. A W-8 or 10 with a Continental or Corvair would get you firmly into the distance and payload you want. You can find projects started or rebuilders for cheap. Holds 25-33 gallons and cruise would be at least 125mph, done right cruise would likely be 140.

I agree with the size limitations. I still cant get over the fact that Mark Brown, the man who designed the Pulsar, made it with such a small cockpit. I am building one right now . I am 6 feet, 200 pounds I am seriously considering making it into a one seat aircraft. With one seat, it would be spacious and increase the baggage capacity.

It has a the flight stick in the center. If I convert it, I would be able to sit center line which is what I have always wanted anyway.