• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Inexpensive Homebuilts... Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the closest reason to why you're interested in "inexpensive" homebuilts?

• Have some discipline, save, and get something really nice later.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I don't make much money. I can barely afford a used ultralight.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I have a pilot license, but everyday expenses mean I can't afford what's out there.

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • I need to get my license, and can afford that or an airplane, not both.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I'm just a cheap bastard. Aviation costs too much. It should be less.

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • I CAN afford many offerings, but can't get the (performance, looks, etc.) in my price range.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Have some discipline, save, and get something really nice later.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I don't make much money. I can barely afford a used ultralight.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I have a pilot license, but everyday expenses mean I can't afford what's out there.

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • I need to get my license, and can afford that or an airplane, not both.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I'm just a cheap bastard. Aviation costs too much. It should be less.

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • I CAN afford many offerings, but can't get the (performance, looks, etc.) in my price range.

Votes: 9 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
We see a lot of threads here on HBA about "less expensive" or "inexpensive"airplanes. The VP-21 and "flying motorcycle" threads are prime examples, and there are many, many more. In fact, such threads tend to become our some of our more-popular postings. Along with spiders. Weird. Anyway, many,many people, it seems, are interested in "inexpensive" homebuilts. Others say, "Don't bother - save up your money and get something you'll enjoy more," usually meaning much higher performance, better looks, etc. There's a lot of wisdom in that latter point, yet the popularity of"inexpensive aircraft" threads persists. Are we all silly dreamers?

It struck me to ask WHY are you interested in "inexpensive" homebuilts? Please read through all the options and pick the ONE that is closest to your own situation.

The poll closes on October 20th, 2016.

Last edited:
Back