• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Inexpensive Aircraft - I lied

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skier

As came up in the multitude of threads on inexpensive aircraft, everyone has different requirements for an "inexpensive" aircraft. I maintain, my primary use for such an aircraft will be relaxing after work on fun flights in the evening.

I love the idea of a hummelbird/ultracruiser. They almost meet my requirements.

However:
1) I am not comfortable with the idea of hand-proping my aircraft, so I need an electrical system and starter.
2) To feel fully comfortable in the national airspace system in the area of the country I operate, I need to have a transponder, radio, ADS-B out and ADS-B in capabilities. Luckily I already have an electrical system from point (1). Unfortunately, for the in capabilities to be meaningful, I now need a GPS. This probably ends up being a Dynon Skyview.
3) My interior will not be bare bones. It will be finished like a fine automobile. I hate the "cheap", "unfinished" feel of homebuilts.
4) It will have a nice paint-job.

These requirements will drive a higher weight and higher cost (I would approximate it as $10,000, but could be more) than a completely bare-bones machine. It will also burn more fuel than a bare-bones machine. With an $8,000 aerovee engine I'm already pushing $20,000 with no airframe (which is what I classified as "inexpensive"). Luckily, many of the additional pieces can be added after first flight, I just have to plan and build with that in mind.

The Minicoupe fits these requirements pretty well. Published empty weight is 497 lbs. Gross weight is 900 lbs.
497lbs empty + (probably a low approximation)
200lbs pilot + (a high approximation that allows a fair amount of "growth")
90lbs fuel +
100lbs (interior, additional avionics, paint - hopefully this is a high approximation)

887 lbs gross

Back