Inexpensive ADSB-Out for aircraft without transponder

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by 12notes, Mar 8, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 8, 2019 #1

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There's been quite a few discussions about ADSB-Out solutions for those planes which already have a transponder and/or WAAS GPS source. But for those of us with a new build or an already built plane but no transponder, adding the transponder doubles the price of the ADSB-Out if buying new. So what's the cheapest solution?

I'm hoping that this post will be updated as new equipment becomes available.

I have found this combo for $2700, has anyone had any experience with it?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/trig-2020bundle-11-16299.php

Anything else out there? What have those without a transponder/WAAS GPS done? Please do NOT include any solutions that already assume a transponder or WAAS, there are plenty of other threads for that.

Personally, anything I put in my plane is size limited, I don't think I can fit a standard size transponder anywhere accessible. And I'm funds limited, so the Trig combo is out as well, so it's unlikely I'll have ADSB-Out anytime soon. But I'd like to know the options.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Mar 8, 2019 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

If you are going for compliance only, the lower altitude UAT frequency box with a used mode c transponder is going to be the cheapest. Lots of people are going full bore so lots of used stuff stuff out there

3. Mar 8, 2019 #3

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I realized that requesting used equipment opens this up to be too similar to the "assume a transponder" posts, so I removed it from the original post after you posted this. Thanks, though, the UAT box+WAAS is about $1400, used inexpensive transponders seem to be about $300 on Barnstormers (outliers excluded), so $1700-ish seems to be the going price for this option. Unfortunately for me the "small" transponders have a used to new price ratio similar to gold bars.

4. Mar 8, 2019 #4

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

That Trig kit includes a new Trig TT22 compact transponder. I was given a GTX 320A transponder and encoder by a friend so I'm considering a tail beacon:

https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeacon/

Used transponders on Barnstormers and eBay can be found pretty reasonable.

Another package deal that I considered before being "gifted" a transponder is this one from Sarasota:

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gdl82-gtx327-package

I did contact them to ask about the encoder for this set up as it's not shown as part of the system and was informed that it wasn't needed ... which don't sound right to me.

It is a little cheaper than the Trig but the GTX-327 transponder isn't new. It also seems the install of this setup would be a good deal more work ...

Dale
    N319WF