• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Industrial engine electronic management system development - HBA style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I promised this a day ago. Got sidetracked with an FTDI driver that didn't work anymore and a few other chores......

New topic: Industrial engine electronic management system.

Thread format and goals:
Answer the basic questions - Who, What, Why, Where and How.

Who:

Me. The ICC – Interim Committee Chairman.
And you, based on the ASTM committee/sub-committee develop and vote model.

The various ‘There needs to be’ threads here on HBA have never gotten past the loose conceptual stage. Design by committee just doesn’t work unless there is structure. The quickest way to get structure is with a leader. I’m appointing myself as leader of this project. If I get any followers great! If not, well that’s life. Further down the road if the group decides that a coup d’etat is needed for whatever reason, well that may be a good thing. It means that there is a group that wants results.

What:

An aircraft grade engine management system for 1L and smaller twin cylinder industrial engines. Notice that is not just an EFI system I’m proposing. EFI may be the only part of the system many will want to use. I think we can incorporate the ignition system and other bells and whistles, such as constant speed prop control, as modular options after the base is working as desired.

Why:

There is a demand for inexpensive 4 stroke engines for light aircraft. The industrial engines have been shown to be a viable option but as with everything they could be improved. The various manufacturers are starting to implement EFI on their commercial products because they understand the benefits of better fuel control and EFI in particular. We could just wait for these versions to become common on the market, but aviation use requires some features that commercial industrial engines simply don’t need. It is highly unlikely any engine manufacturer will develop an EFI system that is truly aircraft grade. There just isn’t enough market to justify the development time. That will be our job.

Where:

Here on HBA, to start.

How:

Go watch this video by our very own HBA member Boku.

This will answer the How for the project. I could eventually come up with a system for my personal use that works. I just don’t have that much time even though by nature I’m a solo kind of guy.

Next:

A starting point.

Note to moderators:
The other EFI thread is in this folder. If it would be a better fit in another please move it.

Last edited:
Back