Industrial engine conversion. *Private* group.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

Withdrew from the group,
these heavy engines are
not the right ones for me.
The group is for small 4 stroke engines. A thread on the Horror fright 212 would fit right in. In fact, I may well be trying some things out on one. At around $100 per disastrously failed experiment, they are a good idea!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately, one particular member keeps posting large amounts of nonsense.
My concern is that HBA will, with key subjects going off-forum because of a few, or, in this case, one abusive poster, morph into a forum for nothing more than a hangar flying site.

I believe that the moderators are capable of dealing with abusive posters effectively, as per the proposal:
When the inevitable disruptive post occurs, the OP should reply to the post, and point out the disruptive nature of the post. If others agree, they can support the OP’s position. If that does not correct the problem, then the OP should report the problem to the moderators, who should address the offender.
If, in the unlikely event that they do not deal with it, then we all will have lost the best aviation forum.

BJC

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Why cannot this subject be discussed on HBA? In the open, why does it need to be a small not seen group?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Why cannot this subject be discussed on HBA? In the open, why does it need to be a small not seen group?
The issue is: posts by one particular member are proving to be disruptive, especially the responses from other members who try (repeatedly) to correct him. This has derailed many discussions. The proposed solution was a mechanism/ thread in which the "owner" of the thread could selectively admit participants, excluding those who may derail productive discussion.
IMO, it's a problematic approach, but there are clearly those who believe it is needed if nothing else works (or nothing else can be tried).
HBA remains the best place for homebuilding discussions. I'd think making some tweaks would be much better than starting anew elsewhere (where other, different, problems will certainly crop up).

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is a way the mods can keep a problem member from posting in a thread. I will tell them about it to make sure they have the knowledge.

Start your thread, and make sure I know about it so I can keep a watch on it also.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
My take on this:

I won't leave HBA and don't think there is much need for a private group - here. The cross pollination of ideas and thoughts is one of the real values of HBA. We loose that with a closed group.

This particular branch of HBA has evolved to the point where there are a few of us with tightly focused, and surprisingly well synchronized, goals. For efficiency I (we?) don't want some of the distractions from those that aren't as well synchronized with my (our?) goals.

For me the Groups IO seems like a perfectly good place to move our subgroup for more focused discussions on our chosen subset of the industrial engine development threads.
I expect any successes and failures that develop as a result of moving to another platform , such as Group IO, will be reported here. I (we?) don't want to isolate ourselves and lose the value of feed back from the many knowledgeable and generous members here on HBA.

I think of this arangement as using Groups IO for the Wednesday department meetings and HBA as the Monday morning All Staff meetings.

pictsidhe

The heckling is wearing really thin. I could pick a thread as an example, but if you just picked a random one, you may get a better idea of the problem...

I'm not leaving HBA either, but I have given up on discussing the details of small engine conversions here. I've been told that HBA won't single people out or exclude them. I don't mind people reading anything on a forum, but I prefer the discussions with like minded people. Having the ability to create threads that one or a few people are excluded from would be a solution.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
If there is one that keeps derailing a conversation, that person can be blocked from replying. I'll help if I know of it.

TFF

The issue is preference of information. The one or the few initiators play by the forum rules. It’s not out of the conduct lane. The issue comes from regurgitation of information on topic but perpendicular to the direction needed to go. It’s not witty banter or personal story, it’s just information taking is taking up memory space.

The issue comes in censoring someone not breaking the rules but not all the time being helpful. Everyone has stuck a nose in and found they were not welcome. Most cool it until their comments are relevant. Most people find a way to self censor. Moderators keep it straight when not forum appropriate. As annoying as it is, it’s getting into thought police.

soupercooper

HBA Supporter
my vote is to stay loyal to HBA but i requested to join groups.io as well, I found a source for gear and belt redrives for gaokin engine and perhaps potential for other applications like kohler and briggs but unfortunately they replied "currently not available at this time", i believe i contacted the middle man and will try to find direct source, i will keep you posted, yes it is a china mfg but German engineered i am told, i keep you posted,

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The issue comes in censoring someone not breaking the rules but not all the time being helpful. Everyone has stuck a nose in and found they were not welcome. Most cool it until their comments are relevant. Most people find a way to self censor. Moderators keep it straight when not forum appropriate. As annoying as it is, it’s getting into thought police.
I don't see how the "thought police" reference applies. This isn't the government denying someone a right, or threatening to punish them. No one has a right to be here.
This is a private meeting of friends hosted by one individual (Andy) with help from his friends (the mods, and admin). If I threw a block party and had all the neighbors in, there might be one guy who wanted to barge into random discussions and discuss one thing. "The city should boost the water pressure to 250psi! Think how Fast our washing Machines would Fill! I could water my whole front yard with one sprinkler!" He keeps pushing this in every conversation, and other party participants explain (tirelessly) how it won't work: the valves in our appliances will fail, hoses and pipes will burst and flood homes, etc. No matter, he keeps entering conversations with the same BS, and the other attendees at the party are paying the price for his behavior. After many subtle and eventually pointed reminders from the host, nothing changes.
What should happen?
I'm VERY glad that HBA has a high tolerance for divergent opinions and off-topic posts--that's probably the reason I'm allowed to stay. But . . .

Protech Racing

I think the replies are moderated on the new site. I'll repost here my concerns with i inverting one of these.
OIl control . Simply that the oils has to be evacuated from the bore under the rings. It will take a good bit of vacuum to help the oil leave and not get burnt . Total Seal gapless second rings will help but you still need to move the excess oil out of the bores.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Folks, use the report key on what you think are abusive posts, trolling, etc. We moderators take these reports seriously. Usual follow up actions involve deleting offending posts, Issuing warnings, and ultimately banning serial abusers. Understand that the forum is large, and the moderators are a few volunteers. Without reports, we do not know about the offending posts. Got it?

Billski

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you start a thread on 4-stroke engine conversions, and one particular member posts (in multiple colors) about how much HP a hot rodded 2-stroke can make, report it and we'll delete it. But do make it clear in the first post that the thread is ONLY about your particular narrow subject, so we can say, "off topic", not "censorship".

pictsidhe

They usually aren't abusive. It's just drivel. Stuff that dozens of people over many, many years have tried to explain is nonsense, but he just doesn't get it. It seems that drivelling on a thread and starting a long exchange about stuff he's been told dozens of times is nonsense with someone who is yet to put him on ignore is ok here. It's EVERY small engine thread. Pick one at random and have a look. You seem to permit nonsense to be posted, so what are we supposed to report for?

pictsidhe

If you start a thread on 4-stroke engine conversions, and one particular member posts (in multiple colors) about how much HP a hot rodded 2-stroke can make, report it and we'll delete it. But do make it clear in the first post that the thread is ONLY about your particular narrow subject, so we can say, "off topic", not "censorship".
But what we get is a long post, in multiple colours about how much HP a dozen different hot rodded 4 strokes can make and how it will last just fine. Usually to 6 sf...

WonderousMountain

The Kohler Kt725 has enough room to increase the stoke substantially (898)cc. However, it's physically larger and weighs 85lbs dry. Looking at it from the EA-B, or microlight category might be fine, but for FAR 103, it's a big hurdle. 30lbs empty weight from 200, is a 15% drop in weight budget.
So it's not suitable for me and my current ambitions.
kuwN9uk6n1bSk-K6mroEADaalKWjKPDi4aIDvdYICJU.jpg
The newer model has fins in the sump, afaik.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I wonder how the Verners deal with oil control, that is, is there any difference between the inverted cylinders and the upright cylinders or between Verner cylinders and other small engine cylinders that would be attributed to oil control?

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
I am trying to start a private conversation on industrial engine conversions. It is for the discussion of the use of industrial and similar small engines. I have done this as I am fed up with public threads consistently being dragged off into the weeds by a few people here.
If you are interested in participating, make a request here. Almost all of you would get oked, so don't be shy.

I would certainly like to be included.
Thank you for your consideration.