• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Increasing Angle of Incidence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith103

This is more of a hypothetical question, but I am interested to learn.

The positive angle of incidence on the MiniMax airplane's wings is made possible by rigging the bottom the rear spar 1 inch lower than the bottom of the front spar. Obviously we need to keep the fuselage horizontal before measuring this differential and only then attach the wings. I think this translates to an angle of incidence of about 3 degrees measured across the chord on the flat bottom of the wing.

I was just trying to imagine what would be the result if we were to lower the rear spar by 1.5 inches instead of the standard 1 inch, to provide possibly another 1 to 1.5 degrees of incidence making a total of 4.5 degrees instead of 3 degrees.

I am certain total drag will increase. Will the stalling speed reduce or increase ? How about landing speed ?

Will the plane require a more powerful engine to overcome the increased drag? Will there be other changes in how the plane handles ?

This is a basic aerodynamic question, but I referred the MiniMax only because I wanted to try it on a MiniMax.

Why would I do this ? I surely would not do it if I were to fly from point A to Point B, because the increased drag would reduce performance and range. But if I wished to loiter in the local flying area while flying at 50 feet, and gaze down to admire the farmland or the river, then it may be more fun flying slower.

Thanks

Back