• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Increase Gross weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Need-to-build

I'm trying to decide what to do. (what's new) I have plans for the Champion V, which is a all wood low wing airplane. Looks like a Falco. The problem is the payload, it's too small for my big body. I could fly it solo, but I really do not want to. The gross is 993 and the payload is 315 with 13 gallons of fuel. Now, I would like to increase the gross to about 1,200 pounds. (about 20%) Now....I was told by the person who markets the plans that you can increase the load to 100 pounds but the structure loading goes down and the numbers were too low for my concerns. (going by memory it was +4.4 g down to +3.5 g's)

Now, can I increase the strength of the main spar (all wood) to handle the extra load? Do I need to strengthen any of the structure that comes into contact with the main spar? I'm aware that when you increase the strength of a part, everthing is affected, performance, and other load bearing items. I work with some engineers I know I can ask them this question, but will they want to try it is another question? I thought of building a "redesign" spar and load testing it myself (safer that way then in the air) until it breaks. There is a lot of talent here and I would like to hear some opinions.

Back