In with a bang, out with a whimper

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

bmcj

Supporting Member
I know this could be a dangerous topic for the direction it might take, but I thought we could use a thread about projects that start with a bang (lots of fanfare on the part of the designer with big promises of low cost, high performance, etc), then slowly fade off into the back pages of silence, obscurity or uncertainty. examples could be Raptor, Terrafugia 2, Moller Aircar, Synergy, maybe even Celera.

Let’s try to keep this simple… identify candidates with a very high level summary, but don’t devolve into detailed analysis or critique. Of course, if someone lists a design but you have knowledge of ongoing progress, feel free to enlighten us, but keep this high level as well.

The biggest rule here is call out the design, but don’t go make it personal with critique of the designers.

plncraze

Supporting Member
Does the Swearingen SX -300 count as one of these? How about the Prescott Pusher? Both of these had more professional support than most kits but the builders/customers didn't seem thrilled about it.

AeroER

Carter Copter

Simple analysis of the original claims of speed and range were all that was needed to disprove the brochure.

More thorough analysis didn't improve the picture.

Rutan's ARES most likely met most of his performance goals, but the idea that he could sell his unsolicited project to the US was naive, although it's possible that was never his goal.

Last edited:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Last edited:

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
There could have been, if he'd been a little smarter. He could have sold at least a hundred built on the original type cert but with the common stc'd mods included. That would have funded the Fury's type cert. The Fury looked almost identical to an stc'd Swift, but had enough changes that it would have required a new type cert.

Voidhawk9

Supporting Member
Boeing Sonic Cruiser (Chronic Snoozer)
MD-12
Viperjet
Aerion
Zunum
Cobalt Valkyrie
Diamond D-Jet
ATG Javelin

Too soon to call on Celera, IMHO - they're still developing that one.

AeroER

A-12 Avenger

National AeroSpace Plane (paper and development hardware)

Jim Bede brought a neat three axis composite ultralight to Oshkosh about 1984. I can't recall the name. That was the first conventional configuration ultralight I had seen, the world was mostly still tubes and wires. I still have a flyer, I'm not certain where it is stashed.

Terry O'Neill's Aristocraft and Magnum. The Aristocraft was probably too complicated for homebuilders.

Last edited:

bmcj

Supporting Member
If ScaleBirds doesn't become another name to add to this list one of my 5-year plan goals is a branch off the LiteFighter design into a 2-seat SxS version that ultimately wouldn't be very far off from the Fury.
Not a chance of making the list… you have not been at all bombastic, making loud public exaggerated claims. You’ve quietly and subtly gone about your build with periodic updates on real progress.