• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Improving VNE of a glider for high altitude flight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighMan

Hi!

So I have this idea of building an electric motorglider and flying it very high (75-90000 ft) at very high TAS (about 300 kts).
At the current stage, I am thinking to retrofit an existing high-performance glider with an electric motor and batteries.

While researching the feasibility of this, it seems like THE biggest issue is improving VNE to anywhere near 300 kts, due to flutter. I could only find one glider that would be able to sustain those speeds, it is Perlan 2 with VNE of 377kts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windward_Performance_Perlan_II).

It seems “normal” gliders all top out at about 150kts VNE, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonker_JS-1_Revelation

1. What are some of the highest VNE gliders out there?
  2. Say I have a budget of 50k USD to improve flutter resistance of an existing glider, what kind of VNE improvement is realistic? (for example, it might be possible to retrofit some dampers or something? Or if I would partner with the manufacturer directly, maybe he can build my plane more “sturdy” if I pay 50k USD more)

Thx

Back