Quantcast

Impractical fun planes you would build if you had the time and money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

autoreply

That's it :) could be the perfect multipurpose,plane...I thought she was broken by a storm, a few years ago, but I just read on youtube channel ..she is still alive and 25 miles north my home!!

was Dean Wilson design and built, operated by french TV..

SOOO NICE :)
In pieces right? The last information I have is that they were considering restoring it?

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
Impractical? then any WW2 fighter; a fleet of the Italians such as the Fiat G50, macchi 202, Re 2000, SM79 trimotors; all of which drink dead dinosaurs like a convention of winos and go like **** off a shovel......an Me 109, impractical because you'd spend so much time collecting it from which ever corner of the airfield it has ground looped to....

Riggerrob

To balance the Breezy, I exited from the rear seat. One time I pushed off too hard and almost rolled it over!
Hah!
Hah!
To add to the amusement, I was jumping an Irvin Delta II parachute with an OSI and a chest-mounted reserve. The OSI did not do much to slow openings because even doing hop-and-pops from a Breezy, 3/4 of the openings were hard enough to hurt!
I never had the courage to take that canopy to terminal.

BJC

HBA Supporter
... I was jumping an Irvin Delta II parachute with an OSI and a chest-mounted reserve....
Sounds like you'e been around long enough that you could have jumped from plane that I was flying. Back then PCs were the standard, Deltas were leading edge, and newbies were jumping flats.

BJC

thump

He162-02f.jpgThis one (but I would use a better quality glue then they did)

ironnerd

That's it :) could be the perfect multipurpose,plane...I thought she was broken by a storm, a few years ago, but I just read on youtube channel ..she is still alive and 25 miles north my home!!

was Dean Wilson design and built, operated by french TV..

SOOO NICE :)
Dude!!!

Go get pictures. I could just about LIVE in that thing... but that would make it somewhat practical...

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If I had the time and money and if print's are still for sale I'd build a Garrison OM-1 Melmoth. melmoth.jpg

lr27

Regarding the Facetmobile project, someone could ask the club:
http://www.eaa292.org/
Wainfan once said that if you made a 4 passenger Facetmobile, it would have the interior space of a Winnebago. Just the thing for waiting out a thunderstorm at Oshkosh. At least if you had REALLY GOOD tiedowns. If I was doing it, it would have to be a Smoothmobile. I suspect that wouldn't be any harder to build.

Speaking of the V-173, I had a pet idea for a cartoon, square, ultralight version. A way of taking advantage of and making fun of part 103. I think, assuming it could be built light enough, that it would be safer than a regular ultralight. The top speed requirement would be met by using that calculation method, which only applies to square wings. The big props could both be driven by the same long belt, twisted to get opposite rotation. Got the idea for that from the hovercraft guys, some of whom run long belts around corners. The long belt, it is hoped, would mean the oscillating frequency was below idle. Another advantage is that you wouldn't lose just one prop and go into a spin.

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it or not. The original idea was for a safe trainer, though I don't know how useful it would be if the goal was to switch to an ultralight glider afterwards. As shown, the landing gear is probably not great, and I think the props need to be larger to reduce induced drag. The little slanted bit at front was to house the engine. It's at a depressed angle for better visibility. When slow, this thing would have a high angle of attack. The engine was intended to be a 19hp Briggs vertical shaft, because it's lighter than the v-twins. Probably there are better choices by now. Don't they have oil injected two strokes these days? With the garage I have these days, I'd have to make it in three pieces or something, and I don't know where I'd keep it.
lincolns crazy ultralight as of 2014.jpg

The real fantasy airplane would be a relatively high performance ultralight motorglider, intended to perform as much like a Carbon Dragon as possible, or maybe even better. Power would probably be a couple of electric motors mounted on the wing. I suppose, as long as we're being ridiculous, it would be nice if it looked like a classic old sailplane. Say a Slingsby Petrel: slingsby petrel lfq 2012-12-24_152407.jpg or a Ross RS-1 Zanonia: zanonia Loomis351.jpg Yes, the latter is an American sailplane.
More practically, it could look like the Screaming Weiner, another American sailplane: Screaming-Weiner_p002.jpgScreaming-Weiner_p003.jpg
Ok, ok, for truly impractical, how about a Horten VI, which might actually be made safe these days, if enough carbon (and maybe boron??) was used.:
ho_vi_si.jpgHorten_ vi im_Flug.jpg

Of course it would have one or two tiny jet engines for launch. Apparently the real thing was pretty scary due to flutter.

I'd better quit while I have a brain.

lr27

Just one more:
Horten VI V2 2.jpg

ok, another one, actually a do-able project, maybe even safe to fly:
horten parabel photo_2.jpg

Swampyankee

Impractical? then any WW2 fighter; a fleet of the Italians such as the Fiat G50, macchi 202, Re 2000, SM79 trimotors; all of which drink dead dinosaurs like a convention of winos and go like **** off a shovel......an Me 109, impractical because you'd spend so much time collecting it from which ever corner of the airfield it has ground looped to....
Certainly, the Italian aircraft of WWII have been neglected. Why not a scale RE.2000 or CR.42 (if it helps, the Luftwaffe flew this biplane)?

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
+1 for the Heinkel 162, but lets just switch to composite airframe and forget the plywood. Oh and maybe work out an ejection seat.

Impractical dream plane for me would be a full size A-10 replica.

The other plane that sprang to mind was the Vmax Probe. I would love to see this design fly, it was the embodiment of low drag design.

Latest posts