Quantcast

Impractical fun planes you would build if you had the time and money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Swampyankee

Sikorsky Bolshoi.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://simanaitissays.com/2012/10/27/st-pete-flights-real-and-virtual-part-1/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi9n7ubp-jQAhWGhVQKHeKzA3oQwW4IGjAC&usg=AFQjCNG7XyAjaQzDGaTFKevvKhv2ilLvYg

Also known as Le Grand. It was, at the time the Largest Airplane Ever Made (starting a Russian tradition taken over by the Soviets -- check out the An-225, by way of some rather largish Tupolev aircraft) http://all-aero.com/index.php/contactus/54-planes-p-q-e-r-s/9500-sikorsky-le-grand--russkii-vitiaz-russian-knight

sikor-grand.jpg

It came to a rather odd, perhaps unique end: it was destroyed when the engine fell out of an airplane flying overhead.

Last edited:

Swampyankee

Half-scale replica of a WW2 Blohm und Voss BV 141 assymetrical airplane. I would start by stealing an engine cowling off a WAR FW-190 replica. A single-seater replica would be impractical for anything more than poking fun at neo-Nazis. The paint scheme would be close to the original except for a circle of question marks on the vertical fin. Hah! Hah!
For poking fun at neo-nazis, a fleet of Bally Bombers, and red-tailed P-51s, and may be so much more effective......

....and maybe a few Avia S.199s and Spitfires in IAF colors...

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't think the Facetmobile meets the "impractical" criterion (except, perhaps the ventral entry hatch). Quirky, no doubt, but it sure has a lot going for it. Is anyone following the guys building several of them up in the northwest? Sure hope they fly 'em to OSH this year or next.

skier

I don't think the Facetmobile meets the "impractical" criterion (except, perhaps the ventral entry hatch). Quirky, no doubt, but it sure has a lot going for it. Is anyone following the guys building several of them up in the northwest? Sure hope they fly 'em to OSH this year or next.
Do you have a link? I haven't heard about that project.

ironnerd

GASP and clutch the pearls!!!!
The web page I saw on this is about 2 or 3 years old. I wonder how they are coming along.
If they really build six of them, and take them to OSH, they may find themselves with more work than the really wanted.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Do you have a link? I haven't heard about that project.
No, sorry, I don't. Barnaby Wainfan mentioned it in a forum at OSH last summer. I think we discussed it on HBA sometime recently and there might be a link there.

Tiger Tim

On the slightly more realistic but still impractical side, I think a replica Jenny would be a ball. I'd go with a 180hp Ranger inline six like a few that used to do movie work but would want to go a step further by replacing the wood fuselage and tail with steel tube to save weight and I'm sure the wing can stand to be dumbed down a little too. It would be the ultimate barnstorming machine:

Unfortunately the nearly 45 foot wingspan rules out cheap hangarage.

Riggerrob

How can you legally jump from a E-AB? (Aside from a legitimate emergency)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The jumps were done in another country, many miles from FAA scrutiny.
No photos survive.

Riggerrob

I'd probably build a big turbine powered Amphibian and convert it to a RV to travel based on something like a Grumman Mallard and call it the SeaDuck.Followed by a De Havilland DH 88 Comet replica.
---------------------------------------------------------

On that note: I would like a replica Grumman Duck with a radial engine, double-layered wings, etc. Impractical for anything except lazy fishing trips up the coast or to isolated mountain lakes.

BobbyZ

---------------------------------------------------------

On that note: I would like a replica Grumman Duck with a radial engine, double-layered wings, etc. Impractical for anything except lazy fishing trips up the coast or to isolated mountain lakes.
I'd prefer radials myself but for some reason a tiny bit of practicality crept in and I went with turbines since I'd be able to find fuel easier lol.

As for jumping from a EAB I had a acquaintance from South Africa who had quite a few jumps in from a Air Cam.So I'm pretty sure it's legal somewhere ;) and if it's not he sure wasnt worried about posting videos of it.

Battler Britton

When I saw this one, I thought it could use a pair of derated TPE-331's.

[video=youtube;RLKNPOSpMpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKNPOSpMpY[/video]
That's it :) could be the perfect multipurpose,plane...I thought she was broken by a storm, a few years ago, but I just read on youtube channel ..she is still alive and 25 miles north my home!!

was Dean Wilson design and built, operated by french TV..

SOOO NICE :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts