Quantcast

Importing a kit to USA (Thunder Mustang)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MEDEVAC

Hi all,

I’ve recently acquired a Thunder Mustang kit and am about to ship it to the US for assembly. It was purchased and shipped to South Africa where is has lain for the last 2 years.

Does anyone have any experience of shipping a kit to the USA who might offer some insight as to the paperwork and tax obligations? It is going to be built in the US so I am not concerned about the FAA. At this point, I just want to get an idea of shipping costs.

It’s a 5 year plan so no rush but I’m hoping to have something a little special!

Thank you!

Mark

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
If I was in your shoes, I'd just hire Jonkers to assemble it. That'd save on shipping, and you could watch it go together.

Derswede

Determine how much space it will take first. A standard 40' container is of course, 40'. This is what I go by, I ship 10-20 containers a year.
"The dimensions of a 40-foot container are: Exterior Dimensions (in feet): 40' long x 8' wide x 8' 6” high. Exterior Dimensions (in meters): 12.19m long x 2.44m wide x 2.59m high. Interior Dimensions (in feet): 39' 6” long x 7' 9” wide x 7' 10” high. "

I lag bolt lots of my machinery to the floor. That is considered normal. Padding is mandatory if anything is the least bit fragile. A structure/cradle to hold things like fuselages, etc. will be needed. I have had customers email me photos of their containers at time of receipt, and some of them had obviously been dropped. Make SURE you have insurance door to door. Most freight companies can give you a local agent, make sure to get the quote from door to door and in writing. Customs will be another matter. I have had containers stuck in "Inspection" for weeks, and you do not want to know the cost! You will need them to determine the "HCC" code for your freight, and make sure the word "Military" is not anywhere on your paperwork. Red flag! Aircraft are subject to special procedures, so make sure that the wording emphasizes that it is a KIT. The term "CKD" may help as well (Completely knocked down). Customs guys may try to claim "value added" if it is a partially constructed kit, and it ends up being on you to prove otherwise. I have imported and exported lots of stuff, check with local exporters for an agent that they recommend. A good agent is a valuable asset in such cases.

Good luck with it, off to load 2 x 40' containers tomorrow.

Derswede

TFF

Hopefully a lot of the original shipping materials are still with it. If not , custom crating will be fun.