• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Importing a currently flying Experimental from Australia to the USA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I have friends who have done it from USA to Australia but don't know anyone the other way. I looked it up with the FAA and it seems there is a reciprocity for airworthiness in place between the USA and Australia, but unsure how that applies to an experimental? Would I need build logs? I imagine to get the ability to work on it I would need to take the class, but likely would not be allowed to do my own annual. Thoughts?

Another odd question, I am unsure if this one is factory built or kit built as the plane is available both ways. I am waiting to get more info. If it were built as a factory built LSA would a type certificate need to be in place in the USA or does the reciprocity cover that as well. This would be the 1st one in the USA so I may have to pave the way myself unfortunatley. Possible pitfalls to consider?

Anyone done this before?

Back